Akaroa to Springfield, New Zealand

Distance: 118 miles
Time on bike: 4.25 hours

We’re really pleased to see that the forecasted better weather for today has arrived, so we can set off again on the bikes and enjoy the sights of the peninsula. The owner of the accommodation has recommended us a route taking in some of the bays and tracks and we set off at 10.30 am; after another round of banana and chocolate pancakes, heading out of town and taking the first ascent of the day.

The roads on the peninsula seem to either only go up or down and within four miles we’re already five hundred metres above sea level. We then head back down to sea level to a bay before taking a gravel track which the hostel owner had recommended. This takes us up over a ridge and again the gradient is steep, but this time the surface is quite slippery.

The bikes seem to manage fine and we just need to make allowances for the lack of tread on the tyres when going through the muddy bits as it feels like we have no grip on the surface. It’s a lovely ride with great views so we’re glad we made the detour and waiting for the weather to improve before coming here. At the end of the track the GPS wants to send us up another track which is for 4x4s only and campervans are banned. It sounds interesting and again we decide to go for it.

Again the surface is a bit mixed but is a really nice ride. We only see a mountain biker and three off-road bikes coming the other way and again we go over another 600 metre pass – the third one today.

At the bottom we then have a ride over a smaller pass of 350 metres which seems to attract quite a few cyclists and motorcyclists out for a weekend ride and it’s like a miniature version of Hartside at the top. We then descend down the hill towards Christchurch which is only about six miles away and decide to have a ride though the centre to see what effect the earthquake has had on the city. From the outskirts we begin to see evidence of damage where dry stone walls of gardens have crumbled onto the pavement. Also some of the roads are cracked with holes appearing, but there are cones to warn traffic.

Nearer the centre we get so see more of the full extent of the damage and it really is quite shocking. It actually looks like buildings have been shaken to pieces and it’s quite sobering to see some really attractive buildings such as churches looking in a very bad way. We don’t take any photos or stop to look, just have a ride through to get some appreciation of what happened to the place.

We leave Christchurch to the west, taking the road signposted for Arthur’s Pass which will take us over to the west side of the country again. We’re doing a big loop over two passes, which will then bring us back up to the east coast so we can then finish off the south island and head back to the north island.

When riding along, a freight train comes alongside us on the track running parallel with the road and we travel at the same speed. It’s quite novel to ride along next to a train, but slightly scary when we come across the level crossings to the side of the road which don’t have active lights or sirens and the train driver has to rely on drivers looking up the track to see if a train is coming. He gives a huge blast of his horn when approaching the crossings as we just wish we had horns like that on our bikes for when we were travelling through India.

We stop in the town of Sheffield when we see a sign proclaiming there is a shop which sells world famous pies. We’ve not had any lunch as the pancakes this morning were huge and have lasted us well. When we pull into the shop the pies look fantastic so we go for a couple of chunky steak pies and also a couple of Moroccan lamb to take with us for later. No sooner do we finish then we decide to have a couple more pies, this time venison and herb, which again were delicious. We’ll save our takeaway pies for another day, otherwise we’ll need to check into the local cardiac unit.

When getting back on the bikes we notice that Béné’s bike is leaning a bit more than it should and on closer inspection it appears that a frame bolt holding the lower part of the bike frame together has snapped. Well it’s been a long while since our last problem with the bikes, but as Béné’s bike now has nearly 90,000 miles on the clock we probably shouldn’t be too surprised at something like this happening. A quick diagnostic seems to reveal that the bike is ‘safe’ to ride, but we only ride five miles down the road to the town of Springfield where there’s a youth hostel we can check into.

After getting checked in, Béné takes off the engine shield and then we can unscrew the bolt holding up the front of the frame. This confirms that it’s snapped so we need to replace it, and also try and remove the snapped end from the bike frame. After enquiring with reception, Béné heads off up the road to a local garage to see if they have a spare bolt while Carl removes some other parts from the bike to make the job a bit easier to access.

Carl then joins Béné at the garage where we appear to be in luck and they have a spare bolt which looks like it’ll just about do the job. Unfortunately there are no mechanics about to help us remove the snapped end of the bolt from the frame so we’ll see what we can improvise and return to the bike.

Béné asks the owner of the youth hostel if he has a drill we can borrow and he then mutters those immortal words ‘come into my garage and we’ll see what we can do’. We wheel the bike around and after a quick diagnosis it looks like the only way is to remove that part of the bike frame and set it up on a bench top drill so we have the best chance of drilling the old bolt out.

The owner is a real star and has a lot of patience to get the job done properly without damaging the tread in the bike frame. A couple of times he thinks it may be too difficult i.e. impossible with his tools, but Carl keeps chipping in with suggestions, which may not come from the mechanics handbook, but in the end we were successful. The owner then leaves us to it to reassemble the bike and we’re overjoyed that the bike is fixed again. Once again, we’ve not been delayed at all with a bike fault and really hope this can continue to the end of the trip.

We settle down in the evening in the very quiet and pleasant youth hostel. We’ve not stayed in one before, but it’s nice and homely and we’re incredibly grateful to the owner for helping us out so we can continue on our journey tomorrow.

Jour 405 – Samedi 28 Mai 2011. D’Akaroa à Springfield, Nouvelle-Zélande.

Distance: 189 km– Temps à moto: 4.25 heures

Le temps est bien meilleur ce matin, il reste encore quelques nuages, mais ils sont bien plus hauts que les derniers jours, on va donc reprendre la route ce matin. Le temps de ranger nos affaires est on est prêts a partir vers 10h30. On suit la route que le propriétaire de la maison nous a suggéré, on monte sur la colline qui est le haut du volcan, puis on descend jusqu’à la plage de La baie de ‘Le Bons’, puis on remonte sur la crête du volcan avant de redescendre vers Port Levy et Diamond Harbour. Ce sont des coins superbes, et même si une partie des routes sont en gravier, elles sont en bon état et il y a peu de monde. Les vues sont belles et on arrive bien à voir les formes des volcans.

On voit pas mal de motos et de cyclistes dans le coin, et de plus en plus quand on s’approche de Christchurch. Le dernier col qu’on passe semble assez touristique, mais sachant que c’est le week-end, et voyant des posters à propos de courses à vélo dans le coin dans les prochaines semaines, ça explique pourquoi il y a tellement de cyclistes.

De ce col on voit la ville de Christchurch qui est dans la plaine juste un peu plus bas. On sait que le centre-ville est fermé au public, et que pas mal de rues ne sont pas ouvertes aussi fermées, mais on va y passer. En arrivant dans la ville on commence à voir des murs de jardins fêlés, ou complètement détruits, puis on voit des parties de routes très abimées et des trous dans les routes qui sont couverts par des cônes. On commence à voir des maisons qui semblent en bon état, mais elles sont entourées de barrières et leur accès est interdit.

Alors qu’on s’approche du centre-ville on voit des bâtiments complètement fissurés, des murs complètement cassés, des vitres brisées. C’est vraiment triste à voir, et la ville et ses habitants vont surement avoir du mal à se remettre de tels dégâts. On ne s’arrête pas prendre de photos, il y en a eu assez dans les journaux.

En sortant de la ville on passe dans une zone industrielle où il y a un monde fou, bien-sûr, comme le centre-ville est fermé, les gens de la région vont faire leurs courses ailleurs. A peine sortis du centre, il n’y a plus de signes des tremblements de terre, et tout semble étrangement normal.

On prend ensuite la route vers l’Ouest, on va faire une boucle pour passer deux cols dont pas mal de gens nous ont parlé, et comme il fait assez beau ça devrait être agréable. La route longe la ligne ferroviaire et on roule a la même vitesse qu’un train, c’est un peu étrange de rouler à la même vitesse qu’un train pendant tellement longtemps, et on trouve un peu alarmant de passer à côté de passages à niveau qui n’ont pas de barrières, mais le train siffle bien fort avant chaque passage à niveau, ça doit être suffisant.

On fait une petite pause au village de Sheffield dans une pâtisserie qui vent apparemment des tourtes renommées partout dans le monde. On mange une petite tourte au bœuf, et on en achète une à l’agneau à la marocaine pour demain, puis comme la tourte qu’on mange sur place est tellement bonne, on en mange tout de suite une autre de cerf aux herbes, un vrai délice.

Quand on remonte sur les motos, je remarque que ma béquille bouge beaucoup plus que d’habitude, on y jette un bon coup d’œil et on remarque que le carde sur lequel la béquille repose bouge bien trop, une des fixations est cassée. Ça ne nous empêchera pas d’avancer, mais il faut qu’on répare ca rapidement.

On décide donc de nous arrêter dans le village suivant car c’est le dernier village avant le col et il est assez tard. On va prendre une chambre dans l’auberge de jeunesse de Springfield, puis une fois qu’on a déposé nos affaires dans la chambre, on commence à démonter le cadre de ma moto pour voir exactement quel est le problème.

Le problème est un long boulon qui passe dans le bas du cadre : il est cassé et le bout cassé est dans le cadre. On commence par demander au propriétaire si on a des chances de trouver un boulon de la même taille dans le coin, et il nous dit de passer au garage qui est au bout de la rue, ils sont sympa et ils ont pas mal de choses dans leur garage. J’y vais pendant que Carl continue de démonter la partie du cadre qui est cassée. Carl me rejoint ensuite au garage où on passe un moment à fouiller dans une caisse de boulons, on en trouve un qui devrait être de la bonne taille, c’est vraiment du bol.

On retourne ensuite à l’auberge de jeunesse, le problème suivant est de voir comment sortir la partie cassée du boulon qui est coincée dans le cadre. On a de nouveau de la chance et le propriétaire de l’auberge a un garage plein d’outils et il vient nous aider. Il pense que la partie cassée est trop rouillée et qu’on n’arrivera pas à la sortir, il nous faudra donc peut-être faire un plus gros trou et utiliser un boulon plus gros, ça n’est pas un problème, mais on préfèrerai ne pas faire ça.

On essaye de percer la partie du boulon coincé et de la pousser tout doucement. Le gars qui nous aide est vraiment patient et fait attention à ne pas abimer le pas de vis, et au bout d’une demi-heure, avec Carl, ils arrivent à sortir la partie toute rouillée du boulon cassé. Super, on peut donc remonter mon cadre et on est bien contents d’avoir réussi à le réparer aussi rapidement.

Le reste de la soirée passe vite, on ne mange pas trop comme on a déjà trop mangé aujourd’hui, juste une petite soupe en paquet et un croque-monsieur, puis comme d’habitude on met le journal a jour.