Mount Cook National Park, New Zealand

Distance: 4.5 miles
Time on bike: 0.25 hours

Béné is keen to get up for the sunrise, but after being woken well before first light, Carl is happy to stay in bed. We have a mountain view from the foot of the bed and the clouds which have formed overnight look like they’ll hinder anything happening with the sun rising on the mountains.

We’re in no rush today as it’s best to wait until the sun has warmed up the snow, otherwise we’ll be skating down the mountain while everyone else can remain in control with their crampons.

We try and take our time, but after breakfast we’re the last ones in the hut and decide to get on our way at 10 am. The snow is nowhere near as slippery as it was this morning on the walk over to the toilets and we are able to make relatively safe progress down the gentle slopes of the ridge to the beginning of the descent.

There are three snowy slopes that we need to get down and the first is a diagonal traverse which causes Carl some problems as his boots have almost no tread left and are like trying to walk across ice with bowling shoes. Even digging the heels in has little affect, so a less than graceful but steady descent is made with the use of hands.

The next two snow covered slopes are straight down and Carl has no hesitation in using the sit down and let gravity take over approach. This turned out to be very successful and another couple we’d just overtaken opt to ditch their crampons and opt for the same procedure. The slopes which had nearly killed us yesterday are dispatched within about five minutes.

We then have a two hour descent down the side of the mountain which is again steep going, but much easier than we thought compared with the ascent yesterday. After a long stop for lunch perched on a rock with a great view of Mount Cook and the glaciers below we crack on and are back at the bikes by 1.30 pm.

Rather than pitch the tent we opt to just strap the back packs to the bikes and ride the two miles into Mount Cook Village to visit the Sir Edmund Hilary Alpine Centre.

After wandering around the museum and learning of the exploits of Hilary in the build-up and subsequent conquering of Everest and also the first vehicular assault on Antarctica, we then buy tickets for the cinema which has a number of screenings to see. This includes a documentary on Hilary and we also see some films about the stars in the World’s most southern planetarium.

It’s dark when we get finished at about 6.30 pm, so opt to go and get a shower at the nearby walkers day shelter and then pop back to the campsite to get the tent erected and have a light dinner. There’s a bit of luck as while we’ve been away they’ve installed solar lighting in the camp hut, so at least we can cook in the dark.

Jour 400 – Lundi 23 Mai 2011. Le Parc National de Mont Cook, Nouvelle-Zélande.

Distance: 7 km– Temps à moto: 0.25 heures

J’arrive à me sortir du lit pour aller voir si le lever de soleil donne de belles couleurs sur les sommets environnants, mais Carl est content de rester au lit comme il voit une partie de la vue de notre lit. Il y a pas mal de nuages autours et le lever de soleil ne nous donne qu’un peu de rougeur sur une partie des nuages. Comme la vue sur les montagnes est belle, je reste dans la cuisine à l’observer et à discuter avec un autre couple qui est aussi levé. Les autres gens sont aussi levés et partent pour redescendre de la montagne. Ça nous semble un peu tôt, il fait bien froid et la neige autours de nous a gelé pendant la nuit, ça rend la marche sur la neige bien plus glissante que lors de notre montée la veille.

Comme on n’est pas pressés on prend notre temps, ça donne aussi le temps au soleil de ramollir la neige et de faciliter notre descente. On déjeune tranquillement et on hésite un peu à monter au sommet qui n’est pas loin, mais on voit le couple qui était aussi là y monter avec leurs crampons, et comme la montée semble bien raide on décide de ne pas y aller.

On commence notre descente à 10 heures, la neige est déjà bien plus molle que ce matin quand on est allés au toilettes, la descente ne sera donc pas trop glissante. Nous avons 3 parties assez raides couvertes de neige à descendre. Les chaussures a Carl sont bien usées et il glisse pas mal, on prend donc notre temps.

La première pente ne se passe pas trop mal, et on avance assez bien, les pentes suivantes sont bien plus raides et ont fini par les descendre sur nos fesses, c’est bien plus facile que de marcher et se retrouver dans la neige jusqu’aux hanches, et on arrive au bas de la partie enneigée en cinq minutes.

Le reste de la descente est raide, mais on avance doucement pour ne pas trop fatiguer, on sait qu’il y a plus de 2 heures de descente à faire. On fait de petites pauses et on s’arrête pique-niquer avant d’arriver en bas. On arrive au parking à 1h30 et on prend les motos pour aller dans le village touristique. On visite le musée Alpin à l’honneur de Sir Edmund Hilary. Ils y montrent des films sur la vie d’Edmund Hilary et comme il y a un planétarium il y a des films sur les étoiles. Comme le prix d’un billet qui nous permet de voir tous les films est à peine plus cher que celui d’un film on décide de voir le plus possible.

Dans le musée on voit le véhicule qu’Hilary a utilisé pour sa première expédition dans l’Antarctique et des posters sur les gens qui ont été les premiers à gravir les montagnes environnantes. Les films sont intéressants et quand on ressort du musée il fait déjà nuit. On va nous doucher un peu plus loin avant de retourner au camping et d’y monter la tente, de manger et d’aller nous coucher assez tôt, on est bien fatigués de nos deux jours de marche et bien contents de les avoir faits.