Dumpling Hut to Te Anau, New Zealand

Distance: 11 miles

Today is our last day on the Milford Track and unfortunately the weather has completely changed overnight. We’ve heard the rain on the roof of the bunk room and at times it has sounded absolutely torrential. We get up slightly later than usual at 8 am, feeling slightly less keen because of the weather.

When we do make it out of the bunk room however, the sights that surround us are spectacular as there are waterfalls cascading off the mountains all around us. We’d been told that Fiordland is at its best when it’s raining and we’re now beginning to understand why – this place really comes alive with a sprinkling of water.

We make our last breakfast in a tramping hut for the trip along the Milford Track and chat with Brian and Joan, who are 72 and 68 years old respectively and an absolute joy to have spent time with along the track. Amazingly Brian has a brother called Alan who runs a wine shop in Whitley Bay, so it’s a small world. They’ve both done incredibly well to achieve what they’ve done along the track so far, but are taking their time from here and will be spending a couple of nights to be able to go and see Sutherland Falls before heading to the end of the track.

We manage to get going at 9 am, which is a bit behind schedule as we’re getting picked up by a boat on Milford Sound at 2.30 pm and it’s supposed to take six hours to get there.

We have a change of outfits for walking and we’re head to toe in our waterproofs. Unfortunately our walking boots, although Gore-Tex, are now nine years old and have recently started to let water in when walking in the rain. So we suspect it will only be a matter of time before we get a damp feeling in our socks.

We set a quick pace to begin with and hope to be able to make up some time along the relatively flat track. The mile markers, which are very handy for judging how well we’re progressing, are getting ticked off in quick succession and it’s not long before we’re back on track to get to the boat pick up point. In fact, it looks like we could get there a bit too early so start to ease off our pace to time it so that we get there with about twenty minutes to spare.

Thankfully the rain is light, but it still manages to make us pretty damp. The reward however is seeing the rivers and streams, which have been pretty docile over the last few days but are now absolutely raging torrents from last nights downpour. The place looks furious and there’s a colossal amount of water trying to get out of the hills and into the fiords.

We manage to make it to the end of the walk at the 53.5 km marker and meet up with Damien, Celine, David and Lior who we set off on the walk with at the beginning. We have to wait in the last hut until the boat arrives and then we have a small trip across Milford Sound to get to the road where our bus is waiting to take us back to Te Anau.

We’re all pretty shattered and a bit moist from the walk today and it’s not long before the windows are steaming up. It’s a nice drive back although it’s amazing how much less you see of the scenery travelling in a bus as opposed to being on the bikes.

Back at Te Anau, Damien and Celine kindly offer to drop us off back at our camping site on the outskirts of town. This gives us the opportunity to pop into the supermarket to get some things for dinner and we cook a nice concoction of sausages and cous cous, followed by getting our laundry done before retiring into our cabin for the evening.

Jour 389 – Jeudi 12 Mai 2011. De Dumpling Hut à Te Anau, Nouvelle-Zélande.

Distance: 17 km à pieds– Temps à moto: 0 heures

C’est notre dernière journée sur le sentier, et il a plu toute la nuit, mais c’est une vraie surprise quand on sort du refuge : la pluie a transformé les montagnes environnantes et les a couvertes de cascades. On nous avait dit qu’il était important de voir les Fiords quand il pleut et c’est vrai que c’est superbe.

On prépare et mange notre petit déjeuner, puis on range nos affaires, on discute un moment avec Brian car on hésite a prévenir les organisateurs de transport pour leur dire qu’il aura peut-être un jour de retard, mais il a peur qu’ils envoient l’hélicoptère de secours alors qu’il n’y en a pas besoin, bref, il nous dit de ne rien faire car il pense ne pas avoir de problème.

On prend donc la route qui longe la rivière vers Milford Sound, on n’a pas trop de temps pour trainer car il y a 6 heures de marche et le bateau nous cherche à la fin du sentier à 2h30. Comme il pleut pas mal on met nos K-Ways et on s’enrobe bien et on espère ne pas nous faire trop tremper, apparemment le sentier peut être inondé et l’eau peut monter jusqu’aux genoux !

Nos chaussures de marches ne sont plus 100% Goretex, on sait donc qu’après 1 ou 2 heures de marche dans l’eau on aura les pieds mouillés, mais comme c’est le dernier jour de marche ca n’est pas grave.

On commence par marcher assez vite, puis comme on n’a pas envie d’arriver trop tôt avant le bateau comme il fait froid on ralentis un peu et on profite du spectacle que les montagnes nous offrent. On arrive à la fin du sentier juste après 2 heures, ça nous donne le temps de manger un morceau avant de monter sur le bateau qui nous dépose a Milford Sound, ou un minibus nous prend pour nous ramener à Te Anau. On est tous trempés et bien contents de nous assoir dans le bus chauffé.

Quand on arrive à Te Anau on veut faire quelques courses avant de retourner au camping, et Damien et Céline nous offrent gentiment de nous déposer au camping ou on reste qui est un peu en dehors du village, ça nous arrange bien ! Ils sont vraiment sympas et on s’est vraiment bien entendus pendant les 4 derniers jours, avec un peu de chance on les reverra un de ces jours.

Comme on a faim quand on passe au super marché on acheté pas mal de choses, et pour ce soir, au menu il y a un couscous aux saucisses. On fait un peu de lessive avant d’aller manger et d’aller nous coucher assez tôt dans notre petite cabine. On est vraiment contents d’avoir fait ce sentier, c’est une expérience vraiment super.