Mutton Cove to Marahau, New Zealand

Distance: 0 miles
Time on bike: 0 hours

It rains quite hard during the night but in the morning it’s stopped. We have quite an easy day today for a change and just need to retrace our steps from yesterday afternoon to walk back down the coast to Totaranui to catch the water taxi back to Marahau at 3.15 pm.

We’re up and about at 7 am and get most of our things packed away and just leave the outer shell of the tent erected to give our kit some shelter and hope it might dry off a bit. For breakfast, we have our usual oats, mixed nuts and sliced oranges and heat this all on the stove to make a delicious concoction with a couple of ANZAC biscuits for good measure.

We then leave the kit and take the walk to Separation Point just up the coast. There are only light showers at this stage, so we’re still dry and the walk to see the seal sanctuary at the top is quite pleasant.

It’s about 10.30 am when we return to Mutton Cove and the weather seems to be turning for the worst. It looks like the rain forecasted for yesterday is arriving today, but we’re still hopeful we’ll be lucky and manage to escape the worst of it. After getting packed away we set off just after 11 am and take the slow walk back to Totaranui down the coast. It’s not long after we set off that the rain starts to come down quite heavy.

We gradually get wetter and wetter as we walk along the exposed beaches and through the dripping forests. Even in these conditions we’re still enjoying ourselves and would rather be doing this than sat inside. For the first time we see a few other walkers going in the other direction and wonder how they’ll manage to dry anything in these conditions. At least we’re heading back today so will be able to get our kit washed and dried.

By the time we arrive in Totaranui it’s about 1 pm and we’re wet through. Thankfully it’s not cold as the wind is blowing from the north. We get the cooker on to get some hot water to use our last tea bag and have the last of our bread, pastrami, cheese, ANZAC biscuits and mixed nuts. The only things left are a few sun dried tomatoes, so we’ve judged the food rations quite well.

Thankfully the time passes quickly and before we know it we’re boarding the water taxi to be blasted back down the coast to our starting point. As we’re flying along, it really puts in context just how far we’ve managed to cover through kayaking and trekking and have thoroughly enjoyed our experience in Abel Tasman National Park; especially playing with the seals.

We end up checking into a cabin for the night to help us get our kit washed and dried. As soon as we get in the room, the heater is whacked on full and we set to work. For dinner Béné cooks a delicious spaghetti bolognese and we have the luxury of a nice warm room for the night.

Food status: 1 x jar of sun dried tomatoes (8 remaining)

Jour 371 – Dimanche 24 Avril 2011. De Mutton Cove à Marahau, Nouvelle-Zélande.

Distance: 0 km – Temps à moto: 0 heures

Il a plu assez fort cette nuit, mais ce matin, ça semble s’être arrêté. Aujourd’hui est un peu plus facile qu’hier, on va marcher un peu plus au Nord avant de retracer nos pas jusqu’à Totaranui ou on prendra le bateau pour retourner à Marahau à 3h15.

On se lève à 7 heures et on range nos affaires, laissant seulement la toile extérieure de la tente en place pour pouvoir y laisser nos bagages et la laisser sécher un moment. On déjeune puis on laisse nos affaires dans la tente pour faire la première partie de la marche jusqu’à ‘Separation point’ sans nos affaires. C’est agréable de marcher sans sac, il pleur un peu, mais c’est une pluie légère qui tombe par petites averses. On voit quelques phoques qui somnolent sur les rochers et on profite de la vue impressionnante de la pointe avant de retourner au camping.

Sur le chemin de retours il y a plus d’averses, on arrive a la tente vers 10h30 et l’averse est plus forte. La pluie ne semble pas vouloir s’arrêter. On s’abrite sous un arbre, espérant que la pluie cesse le temps de plier la toile de tente, mais les nuages sont lourds de pluie et cers 11 heures, on décide de plier le reste de la tente et de prendre la route vers  Totaranui.

La pluie est de plus en plus forte, et il fait un peu frais. On avance bien, surtout par ce qu’il n’y a nulle part où nous abriter le temps d’une pose, même les gros arbres sont tous mouillés. Ca n’est pas une marche très agréable, mais c’est quand même agréable de profiter de cette belle région, et puis avec un peu de chance on arrivera à sécher et on pourra nous changer ce soir.

On arrive à Totaranui a 1 heures, on a donc plus de 2 heures d’attente, on met de l’eau à bouillir et on prépare une tasse de thé et des sandwich. Le temps passe vite et le bateau arrive enfin pour nous chercher. Le bateau est bien plein et on y est un peu comme des sardines. C’est impressionnant de voir la distance qu’on a parcouru en kayak en deux jours, et on est vraiment contents d’en avoir bien profité.

Quand on arrive a nouveau au camping de Marahau, on décide de prendre une cabine pour pouvoir y sécher nos affaires tout est trempé, et surtout nos chaussures de marche, et on espère pouvoir tout sécher avant de devoir tout ranger dans les motos demain.

On fait aussi quelques courses et on acheté de quoi faire des spaghettis bolognaises et on apprécie vraiment d’être au sec et de pouvoir au moins essayer de tout sécher.