Onetahuti Beach to Mutton Cove, New Zealand

Distance: 0 miles
Time on bike: 0 hours

Despite trying to get going at 7 am, it’s dark and a bit overcast with a bit of overnight rain, so we eventually start our trek at 7.30 am. This may cause us some problems further up the coast when we need to cross a tidal estuary, but we’ll try and make up the time.

It’s tough going when we first set out as we’re certainly not used to carrying this much kit on our backs. Thankfully we were able to borrow a proper trekking backpack from Carl’s Auntie Sue who we managed to catch up with in Dargaville a few weeks ago. This accompanies the sandals that Béné is now wearing and the sand fly spray which has been a godsend; so thank you Sue! The backpack really helps, but it’s absolutely chock full. Béné has her day pack, but also the dry bag containing two sleeping bags and a roll mat and it’s looking a bit awkward and not very neat.

To compound matters, Carl isn’t really feeling 100% which is probably down to over exerting himself on the kayak, trying to pack a four day itinerary into two days and covering over 25 km on the water. Still, we can’t rest as we need to catch the tidal crossing, otherwise we’re stuffed.

It’s supposed to be a two hour walk to the estuary and as hopeful as we were about chopping some time off, we don’t get there until 9.30 am which is about 30 minutes after the safe crossing time we’d been advised of. We see another couple coming across with shorts on wading through and we don’t have much option but to do the same. As the sand is full of broken shells we wear our flip flops to at least give us some protection.

On the other side of the estuary we make it through with the water not going much past knee height. It’s only an hour from here to Totaranui, but we need to relax, especially Carl.

We roll out the tarp on the beach, far enough away from the incoming tide and have a belated breakfast. Shortly afterwards Carl collapses and sleeps for an hour. We manage to set off again, but this time we’re a bit more organised with the bags. Thankfully the bad weather which was forecast, and caused quite a few people to cancel their plans, hasn’t arrived.

We’ve been able to get away with just wearing t-shirts this morning, but the clouds have been overcast and threatened rain. Anything that has fallen has been very light and not detracted from the walk.

It’s about 2 pm when we arrive in Totaranui, slightly later than the 11 am we had been anticipating. As the weather is starting to deteriorate we give the water taxi a call that we’d originally booked to collect us today, but changed our plans yesterday to extend a further day until tomorrow. Unfortunately they have no other bookings for today so they aren’t running a service which means we have no option but to either wait it out in Totaranui for 24 hours, or trek up the coast to camp and walk back here tomorrow.

The weather isn’t great and Totaranui isn’t that appealing as, to our surprise, is a place you can get to by car, so it doesn’t have the remote feel that the rest of the park has had so far.

In deteriorating weather we leave at 3 pm for the two hour trek through the forests, rocky headland and beaches of the north to arrive at Mutton Cove at just after 5 pm. Because of the shelter in the forested areas, we’re not too damp when we arrive. We quickly get the tent up and the dinner on before sunset at 6 pm.

Mutton Cove is a lovely place and has a great camping spot just off the beach. There’s only a small group on the other side of the beach, otherwise we have the place to ourselves. While cooking dinner on the sand under the cover of a big tree, we can see the baby seals playing in the surf and bouncing up the beach messing around with each other. This is a great place, so thank you Thomas for the recommendation.

For dinner, we end up eating in the tent and have the pot noodles with a tin or sardines thrown in and a chopped carrot. For dessert, and as a treat, we have the chocolate.

Food status: 250 g bag of oats, 2 x oranges, 1 x loaf of bread (-12 slices), 1 x packed of sliced pastrami (-6 slices), 1 x cheese slice, 1 x jar of sun dried tomatoes, 1 x packet of ANZAC biscuits (5 remaining), 1 x packet of mixed nuts, 1 x tea bag.

Jour 370 – Samedi 23 Avril 2011. De Onetahuti Beach à Mutton Cove, Nouvelle-Zélande.

Distance: 0 km – Temps à moto: 0 heures

On essaye vraiment de partir à 7 heures, mais comme il fait noir quand le réveil sonne, qu’il a plu cette nuit et que Carl a un peu mal à la tête, on n’arrive à démarrer qu’à 7h30. Comme on est un peu en retard, on essaye d’avancer au plus vite et on ne déjeune pas avant de partir, on déjeunera après le passage des estuaires.

Nos bagages nous semblent bien lourds, on a un bon sac à dos grâce à la tante a Carl qu’on a vu il y a quelques semaines et qui nous a prêté son sac à dos de randonnée, et mon petit sac à dos avec un sac hermétique a Carl ou on a un des matelas et les deux sacs de couchage.

Le premier estuaire est facile a traverser, mais le suivant est a plus d’une heure et demie de marche et on ne peut pas perdre de temps. On a l’impression de bien avancer, mais on est fatigués et on a les bras courbaturés à cause du kayak des derniers jours… bref on n’avance pas aussi vite qu’on aimerai. Si on rate l’heure de traversée on a 12 heures a attendre… pas génial. On arrive au deuxième estuaire avec 30 minutes de retard, mais la traversée semble possible, on commence doucement a avancer sur le sable. On voit deux personnes qui viennent de commencer a traverser dans l’autre sens, on va peut-être avoir de l’eau jusqu’aux fesses, mais on devrai pouvoir traverser sans trop de problème. Quand on arrive a l’eau, on enlevé nos chaussures et on retrousse nos pantalons et on met nos sandales car il y a plein de coquillages. L’eau est froide, mais on n’a pas trop le temps d’y prêter attention.

On arrive à traverser avec de l’eau juste au-dessus des genoux, et quand on arrive de l’autre côté on s’installe sur notre bâche pour y déjeuner, maintenant on n’est plus pressés. Carl n’a toujours pas la forme, et quand on s’arrête il s’allonge tout de suite. On prépare des céréales chaudes pour nous réchauffer, Carl en mange un peu, mais tout ce qu’il veut c’est dormir. Il y a des puces de sable qui piquent, il se couvre donc comme il peut et fait une petite sieste. Je me repose un peu et j’observe la marée qui monte doucement dans l’estuaire.

Ça doit être un peu après une heure de pose que Carl émerge, il se sent mieux et on peut reprendre la route,  on réorganise nos sacs pour que tout soit mieux rangé et c’est reparti. On a de la chance et le temps n’est pas aussi mauvais que prévu par la météo, il y a pas mal de nuages et il pleut un peu de temps en temps, mais ça n’est pas une pluie forte. Il n’y a presque personne sur les sentiers, les gens on du être découragés par la météo.

Vers 2 heures on arrive a Totaranui, on aurai du y être a 11 heures, mais comme on avait un peu de retard et qu’on a fait pas mal d’arrêts en route, on est plus tard. Comme le temps semble empirer, on décide de prendre le bateau pour retourner a Marahau, mais quand on appelle l’agence, ils nous disent qu’il n’y a pas de bateau aujourd’hui comme personne ne l’a réservé, bref, on ne peut retourner a Marahau que demain.

On décide donc d’aller jusqu’à Mutton Cove, espérant y trouver un peu de soleil. Le temps ne s’arrange pas, il pleut de plus en plus, mais la route jusqu’à Mutton Cove ne prend que deux heures et on y arrive a 5 heures. Il pleut toujours, on monte vite la tente et on mange a l’abris d’un gros sapin. Thomas avait raison, cette partie de la cote est plus jolie et sauvage qu’au sud, et même avec le mauvais temps on est bien contents d’être venu. Il y a quelques autres campeurs qui essayent de démarrer un feu, mais comme il fait mauvais et froid, on se couche tôt.