Marahau to Te Pukatea Bay, New Zealand

Distance: 0 miles
Time on bike: 0 hours

We have an early start and are out of bed just after 7 am. We need to get the tent packed away and the kit stowed on the bikes by 8 am. We can store the bikes in a nearby shed for the few days we’ll be away and have assembled the bare minimum of kit that we think we can get away with for the next three days of kayaking and trekking along the coast of the Abel Tasman National Park. We’ve opted for the self-guided tour as we’re happy with going it alone in the kayak paddling up the coast.

With the bikes dropped off we then go over to the office to sort out the kayak. We have a double sea kayak and thankfully they’ve given us a good one as we’re going quite far up the coast. The kayak has no trouble swallowing all our kit which includes the tent, sleeping bags, roll mats, a few clothes, cooking equipment, trekking kit and our food for the next three days. We’ve had to work it out quite fine as we need to be as light as possible for the last day of trekking.

The plan is for two days of kayaking up the coast of the Abel Tasman National Park, followed by a day of trekking after which we get collected by a water taxi and whisked back down the coast to our starting point.

We get a run through of the paddling and safety protocol for the kayaking and it’s not too long before we’re on the water. The instructor seems happy that we look comfortable and we soon head off on a slight detour from the normal route, going south to begin with to see Split Apple Rock from the water.

With that ticked, we then head north across the bay to see Fisherman Island and Adele Island where we see our first seals sun bathing on the rocks. Paddling the kayak seems to be going well and we can both keep a good rhythm and Béné can even take an occasional break while Carl tries his best to wear himself out.

At about 2 pm we pull in for lunch at Observation Beach, which had been recommended by the instructor, and bump into a chap from Middlesbrough who’s also kayaking with his girlfriend. We relax on the beach, which we have to ourselves, for about an hour before getting kitted up again to head back out on the water.

We then paddle through the ‘mad mile’ to arrive at our beach for this evening. We’re lucky that the conditions are calm and make paddling very easy and we can cover distances quite quickly. The beach we’re camping at tonight was again recommended by the kayak company as being a nice quiet little place where we can pitch the tent just off the beach.

After getting the kayak unpacked we decide to drag it right up the beach and plonk it next to the tent so there’s no risk of the tide taking it away during the night.

After a little rest and getting the tent sorted there’s a nice little loop walk we can do before sunset which takes us up to a view point of the nice little cove where we’re camping tonight and also to see Pitt Head and take a detour to see the nearby beach and much busier campsite at Anchorage.

When we get back, a couple from Auckland that we’d introduced ourselves to before heading off, offer us some hot water so we can make a cup of tea. We end up settling down with Petrea and Richmond, also on a kayaking tour of the coast, on the picnic table between our tents and are joined by a chap called Thomas from Poland. Thomas is walking through the Able Tasman National Park and had overheard us talking about our bike trip and picked up on when we were talking about Kyrgyzstan and Pakistan, which he’d unfortunately not been able to visit on his own tour of the World which he’s currently half way through.

For dinner we end up cooking the black pudding with the dried pasta meal with some chopped sun dried tomatoes and a courgette.

We end up having a great night and talk about all sorts and the night is capped off just nicely with a sip of Richmond’s cognac, which he’d managed to find space for in his luggage.

Food status: 1 x carton of milk, 750 g bag of oats, 1 x banana, 3 x oranges, 1 x loaf of bread (-4 slices), 2 x pot noodles, 2 x sardine tins, 1 x carrot, 1 x kumara (large), 1 x packed of sliced pastrami (-2 slices), 4 x cheese slices, 1 x jar of sun dried tomatoes, 1 x courgette, 10 squares of chocolate, 1 x packet of ANZAC biscuits, 1 x packet of mixed nuts, 3 x tea bags, 2 x US Army energy drink sachets.

Jour 368 – Jeudi 21 Avril 2011. De Marahau à Te Pukatea Bay, Nouvelle-Zélande.

Distance: 0 km – Temps à moto: 0 heures

On démarre tôt ce matin, on se lève vers 7 heures, on prépare nos affaires, et peu après 8 heures les motos sont prêtes à être rangées dans le hangar du camping, ça nous rassure vraiment de pouvoir les laisser la plutôt que dehors. On va ensuite au magasin de location de kayaks, ou on nous montre nos kayaks. On range nos affaires dans des compartiments secs, et on attend un peu, le temps que le reste des clients arrivent pour que le guide puisse commencer le briefing par-rapport a ou aller, que voir et surtout que faire en cas de problème.

On a pas mal d’affaires dans le kayak : la tente, les sacs de couchage et les matelas, les affaires de cuisine, nos affaires de marche, et des affaires chaudes au cas où il fasse froid. On va faire deux jours en kayak, puis un jour à pieds en portant toutes nos affaires.

Vers 10 heures, on va tous sur la plage et on monte dans nos kayaks, une fois que le guide a vu qu’on se débrouille pas trop mal, il nous laisse partir tout seuls. Il y a 3 autres paires de gens en kayaks qui partent en même temps, mais on décide de commencer par un petit détour : on va un peu au sud, pour voir ‘Split Apple Rock’ (le rocher de pomme cassée), on y est passé hier soir, mais comme ça n’est pas loin, ça sera sympa de le voir de près.

On avance a un bon rythme, et je prends des petites poses régulières alors que Carl se défoule.

Une fois qu’on a fait le tour du fameux rocher, on va voir les deux iles qui sont un peu au Nord et en direction de notre camping pour ce soir, ‘Fisherman Island’ et ‘Adele Island’, Au Nord de l’Ile d’Adele, on voit nos premiers phoques qui se la coulent douce au soleil.

Vers deux heures on fait notre premier arrêt sur la plage ‘Observation Beach’ qui n’’est accessible que par la mer. Il y a un couple qui s’y est arrêté manger, mais quand on arrive ils remontent dans leur kayak et on a la plage juste pour nous.

On a de la chance et la mer est bien calme aujourd’hui et on avance bien, on continue tranquillement vers le Nord et même la derniere partie qui est souvent plus venteuse et s’appelle ‘the mad mile’ : la mile folle, est tout aussi calme et on arrive rapidement a la plage ou on va camper ce soir.

On se pose un peu sur la plage et on va voir ce qu’il en est pour le camping. C’est un tout petit camping ou il ne peut y avoir que 20 tentes, et ou les marcheurs et gens en kayaks du coin peuvent rester, il faut réserver a l’avance et la compagnie avec qui on a réserve les kayaks l’a fait pour nous.

On remonte le kayak dans les arbres dans la partie camping et on monte notre tente, puis après quelques minutes de repos on va faire un petit tour sur les sentiers du coin, ca fait du bien de bouger les jambes plutôt que les bras.

Quand on retourne au camping on discute un peu avec un couple d’Auckland qui sont aussi en Kayak, et ils nous offrent une tasse de thé, et on les rejoint donc sur une table de pique-nique du camping pas trop loin de notre tente. Alors qu’on discute, Thomas, un gars de Pologne qui fait de la marche dans le coin se joint à nous quand il nous entend parler de notre passage au Kyrgyzstan. On finit par manger tous a la même table, Richmond et Patrea d’Auckland, Thomas de Pologne et nous, on passe une soirée sympa à discuter de voyages et de la Nouvelle-Zélande

Notre diner est fait de boudin noir avec un paquet de pates en sauce, une courgette et des tomates séchées. Richmond et Patria nous offrent un digestif et un chocolat, et nous partageons quelques biscuits, c’est une soirée vraiment agréable.