Dannevirke to Waikawa, New Zealand

Distance: 141 miles
Time on bike: 3.75 hours

The great news this morning is that the weather forecast was correct and there’s a cloudless blue sky for our ride down to Wellington.

After breakfast we head off from the little cabin that kept us nice and cosy last night, when the temperature dropped to the lowest we’ve ever seen on the trip when we’ve been riding. On the ride out of the camp site there’s a condensation plume coming out of Béné’s exhaust – something that’s never happened on any morning before, so it must have been cold.

It’s a beautiful day, but still chilly so we keep the heated jackets plugged in. We follow the central mountain range, which has a nice dusting of snow, and makes the otherwise boring straight road quite pleasant. Along the way we stop at one of the local producer’s shops as they have a huge sign declaring they sell black pudding, something we’ve not had for at least a year.

When we arrive in Wellington we’re about an hour early for last check in, so take a ride through the capital city and up to a view point on the other side of town. The streets are eerily quiet, even though it’s a weekday.

The road to the view point is like an alpine pass with loads of hairpins, but set in an urban environment. It’s a nice view from the top, but we then get a message to say the ferry has been delayed by an hour. We opt to take a wander around the view point and then descend into the city and pop into a supermarket for picnic things.

At the ferry, the check in is easy and the lady behind the counter just guesses our names as it turns out there’s only one other motorbike going on the ferry. The sun is still shining so we sit down next to the mouth of a nearby river and have a picnic while we wait for loading to start.

We’re the first on the ferry, which is surprisingly small, and get to work strapping down the bikes. We’ve had to bring our own tie-downs as they aren’t supplied by the ferry company. It’s cost £55 each for the ferry crossing, which isn’t too bad, but the prices do seem to vary wildly when we were checking on their website.

The sea is very flat, which is very welcome as apparently this can be a very rough crossing with huge swells passing through the Cook Strait. It takes about three hours to get to the Port of Picton and the scenery along the way is very scenic as the ferry negotiates its way through the upper parts of the South Island.

It’s just got dark when we disembark so opt for a short ride to the port of Waikawa and get a little hut with heating to have some comfort again tonight. The air has an alpine feel about it as it’s fresh and you often get wafts from the log burners when driving through the residential areas. It’s difficult to justify camping when the cabins cost £22 and camping costs £13. After a wander down to the local marina and seeing the boats we return to the camp site to knock together a dinner of black pudding with apples and courgettes.

It’s lovely and warm in the cabin and after seeing the yachts tonight, Carl raises the suggestion of sailing back to the UK from NZ, but this isn’t received with much enthusiasm by Béné. But maybe, just maybe.

Jour 366 – Mardi 19 Avril 2011. De Dannevirke à Waikawa, Nouvelle-Zélande.

Distance: 226 km – Temps à moto: 3.75 heures

On est bien contents de nous réveiller et de voir qu’il fait beau dehors, et même s’il fait bien froid, ca devrait être bien plus agréable de faire la route vers Wellington ce matin.

Après un petit déjeuner rapide, on prend la route, vêtus de toutes nos épaisseurs et les vestes chauffantes branchées. C’est une matinée superbe et on prend la route qui longe le bas des montagnes enneigées vers le Sud. On s’arrete chez un marchand de produits locaux ou on prend du boudin noir, quelque chose qu’on n’a pas mangé depuis bien longtemps.

On arrive assez rapidement a Wellington, et on a plus d’une heure avant d’avoir besoin d’être au ferry, on passe donc faire un tour dans la ville. On monte par de petites routes jusqu’à un point de vues sur la ville. Il n’y a vraiment pas beaucoup de monde sur les routes, ce qui est bien agréable.

On reçoit un message sur le portable pour nous dire que le ferry aura une bonne demi-heure de retard, on en profite donc pour faire quelques courses pour un pique-nique et pour ce soir car on arrivera a Picton après la tombée de la nuit.

Quand on arrive au ferry la personne au guichet sait qui nous sommes, il ne doit pas y avoir beaucoup de motards sur ce ferry ! On a une heure d’attente, mais il fait beau et bon et on en profite pour manger sur un petit banc pas loin du bord de la baie, c’est assez agréable, et on voit le ferry arriver. Le temps passe vite et nous ne sommes que 3 motards au total, ils nous font monter assez vite sur le ferry pour qu’on ait le temps de mettre les sangles sur les motos pour les immobiliser en cas de grosses vagues, heureusement la mer semble bien calme, ça devrait ne pas trop remuer.

La sortie de la baie est agréable et même avec le froid on passe un bon moment dehors à profiter de la vue. On s’installe ensuite à une table avec l’ordinateur pour mettre une partie de nos dépenses à jour, mais à peine une demi-heure plus tard on commence à passer entre les petites iles du Nord de l’ile, on range donc l’ordinateur pour retourner dehors profiter du spectacle, ça doit être le plus beau paysage qu’on n’ait vu d’un ferry, et le passage entre les iles  ne semble pas très large pour ce ferry.

Il commence à faire sombre quand on approche Picton, et le temps de sortir du ferry et il fait nuit. On décide d’aller camper dans le village voisin qui est un peu plus petit que Picton, Waikawa, puis, comme la veille, quand on voit le prix d’une cabine chauffée qui n’est pas beaucoup lus que le camping, la décision est vite prise, la cabine sera bien plus confortable ! On va faire un petit tour a pieds dans le village, le long du port, et on passe le long de plein de superbes bateaux. L’un d’eux est a vendre, et Carl suggère de l’acheter pour rentrer a la voile en Europe… ça serait une aventure superbe, mais je ne suis pas prête à faire ça pour l’instant !