Bargara, Australia

Distance: 0 miles
Time on bike: 0 hours

As the weather is still pretty bad today we decide to make the most of the position by getting some catching up done on the website. We’re well behind with uploading the photos and diary, but the connection here is quite good so we’re getting some big chunks done.

We also make arrangements for shipping the bikes from Brisbane to either Auckland or Christchurch. When we get to New Zealand we’ll want to get the South Island done first before the autumn and winter set in, so it makes sense to send the bikes to Christchurch. Apparently the port is fully operational after the earthquake and we’re trying to find out if we can do some volunteer work while we’re waiting for the bikes to arrive.

It’s looking a bit more promising with costs as we’ve come across a good contact. Our only concern is crating the bikes, as any wood used has to be treated to get into NZ. This could cause problems in terms of cost, so we’ll just have to see what we can come up with. Carl tries the bike shops in Brisbane, but none are really of any help. Only the Harley/BMW dealer has steel crates available, but these cost over £100 and are huge so it’ll cost lots more to ship the bikes as charges are based on volumetric weight, rather than actual weight.

During the day we chat away with Marie and Evan and for the evening they buy a couple of litres of wine we can all enjoy with dinner.

The weather today has been pretty terrible again and the campsite is getting absolutely soaked. Thankfully, it’s not quite reached the tent, but it’s not far off.

Jour 331 – Mardi 15 Mars 2011. Bargara, Australie.

Distance: 0 km – Temps à moto: 0 heures

Il a encore plu toute la nuit, et le camping est bien mouillé, mais heureusement la tente semble tenir le coup et on est toujours au sec. Comme la connexion internet est assez bonne, et que le camping est bien, on décide de rester une nuit de plus, on n’a pas envie de plier la tente quand elle est mouillée de toute facon. On passe une bonne partie de la matinée sur l’ordinateur et à discuter avec Evan et Mary qui hésitent a aller plus au Nord comme la météorologie n’est pas très bonne.

Le temps passe assez vite, et ils nous proposent de nous emmener au supermarché, ce qui nous arrange bien comme il fait tellemetn moche, puis comme il fait un peu meilleur, on leur dit qu’on rentrera a pieds. Leur camping car de location est super, mais ca leur coute assez cher. Ils sont en Australie depuis plusieurs mois, ils ont travaillé un moment a Perth et ont fait pas de tourisme, et ils vont en Nouvelle-Zélande le mois prochain, on les verra surement là-bas.

On hésite un peu a aller directement a Christchurch avec les motos, ca nous économiserai un passage en ferry de l’Ile du Nord a celle du sud, puis on pense qu’on pourrait peut-être faire un peu de volontariat là-bas en attendant les motos, mais il vaut mieux qu’on se renseigne avant d’y aller. Le port est fonctionel, ca n’est pas un problème, mais on ne sait pas trop si notre aide leur serait utile ou si il est mieux pour eux de ne pas avoir trop de monde a rester dans le coin.

Il pleut encore, et on passe une autre soirée dans le petit abris cuisine avec Mary et Evan, et on y partage une bouteille de vin. C’est agréable de se poser un peu, et on est contents d’avoir réussi a mettre quelques pages du journal sur internet.