Devonport to Seven Mile Beach, Hobart, Tasmania

Distance: 187 miles
Time on bikes: 5 hours

There’s a wake up call at 5.10 am to say that the ferry is due to dock at 6 am. It’s still dark and we’re a bit bemused as for some reason we didn’t think we’d be landing until about 9 am.

Before we know it we have to be up and about and making our way down to the bikes. We both managed to sleep well in our ‘ocean recliner’ seats, but our legs feel heavy as we walk down the steps to where the bikes are. After unstrapping the bikes it’s not long before we’re riding off the ferry and onto Tasmania where it’s only 6 am and everywhere looks a bit dead.

After stopping to fill up with petrol and pull an extra layer on we start to make our way into the centre of Tasmania. We’re collecting Anne from Hobart airport tomorrow morning, so we’re aiming to get down to near the capital so we’re not in a rush in the morning.

It’s a nice ride and the scenery is certainly different to what we’ve already seen in Australia and looks much like the landscape of Scotland. After about an hour however we need to pull over and for the first time since northern Kazakhstan, we need to use our heated jackets. We’d been wondering if we’d ever need them again on the trip, but again the luxury of heat being pumped around our upper bodies feels fantastic.

We stop off at a place called Liffy Falls which takes us on a nice walk through some forest before we continue up to the high plateau area in the centre where there’s a large lake. We’re not quite sure what we were expecting, but the idyllic lake setting feels more like a harsh Scottish tarn and not very inviting for a swim. It’s also a gravel road, so progress is a bit slowed in the interests of not giving the bikes too much of a hard time.

Getting up so early is also taking it’s toll on Béné, so we pull over and roll out the beach mat to have a bit of relaxation. We use the tarpaulin as a wind cover and even though it’s flapping around a bit in the wind, we both must have been shattered as we manage to sleep for about two hours. We’re not quite sure what passing traffic must have thought.

Heading further south, the road is really nice and very enjoyable in its lack of straightness. We end up stopping at some obscure sculpture park, apparently in the middle of nowhere, to have some lunch before continuing south.

At one point, we pass through a town which is home to the first golf course in the southern hemisphere which was nice to see. We then arrive in a town where there’s a patch of grass which makes a nice home for our beach mat again and amazingly three hours pass before we get up again and back on the bikes. Maybe we didn’t sleep as well as we thought on those ocean recliners, or maybe it was the week with Tony and Linda that has completely worn us out.

We manage to get to Hobart in the late afternoon and go to the harbour to see the Wooden Boat Festival, which a lady had told us about at the sculpture park earlier in the day. Apparently the festival only takes place every two years, so we’ve timed this visit quite well. After a wander around and some fish and chips, we get back on the bikes for a ride to a nearby campsite located pretty much at the end of the airport runway at a place called Seven Mile Beach.

There are no prizes for guessing why the beach got its name, so we don’t manage to cover the full length during our evening stroll after erecting the tent. We’re looking forward to tomorrow however, as we’re collecting Anne from the airport and she will be joining us for the next month to tour Tasmania and the east coast of Australia.

Jour 301 – Dimanche 13 Février 2011. Du Ferry de Tasmanie a Devonport a ‘Seven Miles Beach, a Hobart, Australie.

Distance: 299km – Temps à moto: 5 heures

C’est un réveil surprise a 5 heures : un message au haut parleur nous dit qu’il est 5 heures et qu’on arrivera au Port a 6 heures… on ne s’y attendait vraiment pas ! On avait prévu de petit déjeuner sur le ferry tranquillement. Bref, le temps de nous réveiller et le message suivant est que les chauffeurs doivent descendre a leur véhicules, bref, pas de temps a perdre, on s’habille vite fait et on descend rejoindre nos motos.

Il fait froid ce matin, on espère que c’est juste la fraicheur de la nuit, et que quand le soleil se lèvera ca ira mieux. On fait le plein avant de prendre la route en direction de Hobart, où on cherchera Anne a l’aéroport demain matin. Il fait vraiment frais, et quand le soleil se lève, ca ne change pas, on s’arrête donc pour utiliser ce qu’on n’avait pas sorti de nos saccoches depuis un bon moment : nos vestes chauffantes ! On ne pensait vraiment pas en avoir besion en Australie, et Anne va aussi être surprise, on n’est pas surs si elle a ramené autre chose que des shorts et T-Shirts !

On fait une pause a la cascade de Liffy, où on petit déjeune et on fait une petite marche pour aller voir la cascade et nous réchauffer. On passe ensuite sur les ‘Highlands’ c’est un haut plateau assez desertique, et la fatigue nous impose une pause, il y a pas mal de route en gravier, et ce matin j’ai un peu de mal. On fait donc une pause au bord de la route, et comme il fait froid et qu’il y a du vent on se couche, enroulés dans la bâche, ca nous abrite bien et on arrive même a nous y endormir un peu.

La route est assez isolée, il n’y a que quelques petits villages et pas grand monde ici, ce sont principalemnt des routes en gravier, mais le gravier est dur et régulier, et la route est agréable, avec plein d’ondulations sur les colines.

On s’arrête manger un sadwish sur une aire de repos où il y a de jolies sculptures. Une dame du coin nous montre quelques orchidées qui sont cachées sous les buissons et on discute un peu avant de reprendre la route. On passe a côté du premier terrain de golf de l’hémisphère sud avant de faire une autre pause, cette fois-ci c’est un sièste sous l’ombre d’un bel arbre, il fait encore frais, mais on ne veut pas bruler si on s’endort.

On arrive peu après a Hobart, où on apprend qu’il y a un festival ce week-end, le festival des bateaux a coques de bois. On passe devant les panneaux de la chocolaterie Cadbury ou on passera peut être avec Anne. La ville est plus grande que ce qu’on pensait, mais on trouve facilement le port qui est plein de monde et de bateaux. Il fait beau et c’est agréable, on garre les  motos et on va s’y promener pour voir si ca vaut le coup de passer demain avec Anne. Il y a des stands qui vendent des ‘fish and chips’ ou des sandwish, et il y a des grands voiliers, l’un d’eux ‘Barque James Craig’ a été construit a Sunderland en février 1874. Il avait coulé en Tasmanie dans les années 30 et a été remis en état en 1973. Il est possible de le visiter, et on esper pouvoir faire ca demain. On mange un ‘fish and chips’ avant de partir a la recherche d’un camping.

Il y a un camping pas loin de l’aéroport, sur la plage, ca nous arrange bien pour chercher Anne demain matin. On s’y installeon va faire une bonne petite marche sur la plage avant de nous coucher tôt, ca sera sympa de retrouver Anne demain.