Ayers Rock, Australia

Distance: 87.3 miles
Time on bikes: 2.5 hours

We have to set the alarm early again today to be able to catch the sunrise on Ayers Rock. We find it even more difficult to get up this morning, but manage to get on the bikes and ride out of the campsite while it’s still dark. We ride around the perimeter of the Rock while the sun comes up, but it doesn’t seem to be as much of a spectacle as the sunset the night before.

Rather than park up at the designated ‘sunrise car park’ we have a ride around the rock while the sun comes up and then decide to take a ride to see the Olgas which are located about thirty miles to the west and also within the same national park. There’s apparently a nice walk we can do there, so we’ll do that this morning as it shuts at 10.30 am because of the high temperatures at the moment. Part of the journey takes us directly into the sun and it’s blinding; this will make an early exit from the area difficult when we head back to the main highway as we need to ride directly east into the rising sun.

On the way we see groups of wild camels strolling near the side of the road – something we’d been warned about, but they seem pretty docile and are quite amusing to watch when they start running.

We pull in to see a viewpoint of the dunes in front of the Olgas, but this is when our itinerary for the day takes a sudden change of course. When Béné stops her engine and puts the bike on the side stand, coolant starts to trickle out of the water pump weep hole which suggests the seal has gone and needs to be replaced. This is bad news as the pump seals were only replaced about 2,000 miles ago when we serviced the bikes in Georgetown, Malaysia. This is the first time we’ve had this problem on either bike as previously it’s been the drive pinions fail or the oil seals fail on the water pump. We’re a bit perplexed as to why it’s happened, but can only surmise it’s due to the pump overheating when the coolant was low, or because we’ve recently changed the coolant, or the seal was defective or damaged when fitted.

We’ve got one spare water pump kit left, but we’ll need to find somewhere we can do the work as it’s a bit messy with the oil and coolant needing to be drained and the side engine casing removed. Rather than risk riding further away from town, we ride back the thirty miles so see what we can sort out.

The first stop is the only petrol station around to buy some coolant so we can at least keep mobile with Béné’s bike by topping up the system. We ask whether there are any garages around, but get told that there’s only one and it’s closed today. The cashier tells us there is an emergency call out number, but the service is expensive. It looks like we may be a bit stuck, but a guy in the garage asks us what the problem is and we explain it’s something we can fix ourselves but just need access to a workshop and tools. We’re in luck, and he offers us the use of his car port and also a set of tools so we can get the job done.

This is great news, and something we weren’t quite expecting. While Béné starts to dismantle the bike, Carl goes with the chap to collect some tools and then we set to work. We use our cooking pans to drain the fluids and then strip the bike and replace the water pump and seals. We’ve now done this job a few times, but just take our time to make sure everything goes to plan. It takes about two hours, plus another thirty minutes of getting cleaned up afterwards. Everything went back together well and we’re finished by 12.30 pm.

We ride back to the campsite and then head to the pool to cool down and freshen up. The temperature today is about 48 degrees again, so we we’re glad to have the shade of the car port to do the work. Without it, the job would have been torture. The guy who helped us was a real star and we expressed how much it meant to us. He even let us take a few of the tools so we’ve got everything we need should we have to do the job again.

For the rest of the afternoon we relax around the pool – the intensity of the sun and the heat in the air make it impossible to do anything other than cower in the shade; which is a bit frustrating as it means we feel like the rest of the day is wasted. The air is so dry here that you dry within minutes of getting out of the pool or shower and never need to use a towel to get dried.

About an hour before sunset we get back on the bikes and pop to the local supermarket to get some provisions and then ride to the sunset viewing spot to see the sun go down again on Ayers Rock. Compared to the previous night however, it’s a bit of a disappointment as clouds make the sun soon disappear without the same changes of colour on the rock that we saw last night.

The flies are incredibly irritating tonight, so after having a bite to eat we decide to not stick around. We meet up again with Paulo the Italian rider touring around Australia and he asks if one of us have lost some gloves. Carl suddenly realises that he’s not seen his for a while and Paulo tells us he saw one lying in the road near to the campsite. It must have fallen off when Carl made a trip to the campsite to grab some things to be able to do the repairs on Béné’s bike.

We ride back and retrace our steps, but there’s no sign of the gloves. Maybe they’ve been handed into reception, so we’ll ask when they reopen in the morning.

Again it’s an early night; partly because we’re shattered and partly because getting up early is the only time of day we can get things done. As Béné’s bike is now fixed, we plan to see sunrise over Ayers Rock and then ride to the Olgas to do the walk we’d intended to do this morning. Carl is a bit despondent about losing his gloves, but hopefully they may turn up in the morning.

Jour 280 – Dimanche 23 Janvier 2011. Uluru, Australie.

Distance: 139 km – Temps à moto: 2,5 heures

On a mis le réveil tot encore ce matin pour essayer d’aller voir le lever de soleil, mais comme on a du mal a nous lever, on ne part du camping qu’a temps pour le voire en route vers Uluru, et on en fait presque le tour entier, le spectacle n’est pas aussi impressionnant que la veille. On décide ensuite d’aller faire la marche aux Olgas, qui sont un peu plus loin, mais comme le sentier y ferme après 10h30 pour que les gens n’y aillent pas dans les grosses chaleurs du midi, ca serai bien qu’on y aille directement.

Comme la route part directementvers l’Ouest, on y voit un bon groupe de chameaux sauvages, on nous avait dit d’être prudents car ils traversent souvent la route, mais heureusement ils ont l’air d’avoir peur de nos motos, et il est même assez drole de les regarder courrir. On s’arrête a un parking ppour  prendre des photos des Olgas, mais quand j’arrête mon moteur et que je met ma moto sur la béquille on entend undrole de bruit de liquide qui goutte sur mon pot d’échappement. La conclusion est rapide : les joints de la pompe de refroidissement ont une fuite, et elle est assez rapide… heureusement on a les pièces de rechange, mais on est surpris du problème comme on les a changés il y a seulement 3000km.

Nous avions eu d’autres problèmes avec la pompe, mais celui-ci est nouveau, on se demande si on les a mal mis, ou si on a bien utilisé le bon liquide de refroidissement…ou si c’est la chaleur et que la moto de Carl risque d’avoir la même panne d’ici peu ?… Ca serait un autre problème car nous n’avons qu’un jeu de pièces de rechange sur nous. Enfin bon, on peut toujours rajouter du liquide régulièrement si il faut, mais ca ne serai pas idéal.

Nos plans de promenade sont immédiatement annulés et on reprend la direction du camping. On s’arrête a la station d’essence pour y acheter du liquide de refroidissement et demander si il y a un garage dans le coin ou on pourrait travailler a l’ombre. Le garage est fermé le dimanche, mais heureusement un gars qui est dans la station nous offre gentilment de travailler dans son garage chez lui. Ouf, ca sera bien plus facile qu’au camping !

On y va directement et je commence a démonter la pompe de liquide de refroidissement pendant que Carl va avec le gars pour chercher les outils nécessaire. C’est super sympa de sa part. Nous avons fait ce démontage et remontage plusieurs fois maintenant et ca nous semble presque facile, sauf qu’il fait très chaud et on sue a grosses gouttes, on fait le tout en 2 heures, avec une demie heure de nettoyage a la fin, on est assez contents de nous quand on fini le tout a 12h30. Le gars est super sympa et laisse même Carl prendre les outils qui nous seraient utils dans le futur.

On retourne au camping, et comme il fait encore 48 degrés il n’y a qu’une chose a faire : aller dans la piscine ! C’est impressionnant la chaleur, on n’a même pas besion de serviette, on sèche en 2 minutes quand on sort de l’eau. On passe l’après midi a discuter avec un Allemand et son père qui sont intéressés par nos avantures.

Environs une heure avant le coucher de soleil on fait comme la veille et on emmène de quoi pique-niquer a Uluru pour le coucher de soleil, mais comme il y a des nuages, le spectacle n’est pas aussi impressionnant, et en plus il y a des mouches collantes ce soir, ca n’est pas aussi agréable.  On rerouve aussi Paolo ce soir qui est au même camping que nous, et quand il arrive il demande tout de suite a Carl si il n’a pas perdu un de ses gants… Carl réalise tout de suite que ca n’est pas qu’il avait laissé ses gants dans la tente ce soir, mais qu’il avait du les laisser sur l’arrière de la moto et les perdre pendant un des allers-retours entre le garage et le camping ce matin. Zut alors, avec les prix du coin on va avoir du mal a lui trouver des gants de remplavement.

Comme Paolo avait vu un des gants, Carl espère les retrouver et on retourne vers le camping, mais pas de bol, le gant a disparu et on ne retrouve pas l’autre. Il est surtout décu comme je les avais réparé qand il les avait troués et qu’il les trouvait tellement confortable. On regardera a nouveau de jour demain, mais nous avons peu de chances de les trouver.