Elliot to Ti Tree, Australia

Distance: 351 miles
Time on bikes: 7 hours

It’s rained all night outside the cabin, but not too heavy. When we open the door early in the morning, about 7 am, we find that the tarpaulin over the bikes has filled with water in the middle and pulled Béné’s bike over on the centre stand as it’s sunk in the sodden ground and it’s now gently resting against Carl’s bike. This is the second instance of this happening, after they adopted a very similar position in the container on the way over from Singapore. We’re beginning to think they have a bit of a thing going.

The weather looks overcast outside, but it doesn’t look like any storms are threatening, but similarly it doesn’t look like there are any signs of things letting up. After a quick breakfast in the cabin we manage to get on our way at 7.55 am and continue down the Stuart Highway.

It’s 474 miles down to Alice Springs, but we’re not likely to make it as far as that by this evening. But we’ll see how close we can get.

Back on the road the conditions are damp and the rain is very light. At least this means we’re not putting much, if any, wear on the tyres and the bikes run at a cooler temperature which must be a good thing. According to the thermometer on Béné’s bike it’s only 25 degrees so very pleasant for riding.

It’s about three hours before we arrive in the town of Tennant Creek where we’d planned to stop and see one of the gold mines in the area. We decide however to keep cracking on and instead just pop into the local food store to get some fruits which we’ll have during a couple of stops during the afternoon.

The skies start to brighten up as we head further south, but the temperature stays in the high 20’s. On the way down we see a rock formation called Churchill’s Head which also takes us on an original stretch of the highway, followed by monuments dedicated to the Overland Telegraph line, Stuart the Explorer, and also Reverend John Flynn, who’s actions led to the starting of the Flying Doctor service to provide medical care to far outreaching parts of inland Australia.

We stop for a bite to eat at the Devils Marbles, which is an unusual collection of large boulders scattered around in the bush. They’re quite amazing to see and we enjoy the shade provided by a couple of big balls to enjoy a grapefruit bought from Tennant Creek.

Back on the Stuart Highway, we soon come across the UFO hotspot in Australia where there’s a museum dedicated to some sightings in the vicinity, but again decide to crack on. The temperature is gradually rising as we move south and the skies are getting more and more blue as the clouds dissipate. Soon the thermometer is telling us it’s 38 degrees and it feels scorching in the sun, even though it’s now after 4 pm.

At one rest stop, we arrive at what is apparently the very centre of Australia – Central Mount Stuart. So at least this marks us having crossed half the Country north to south. It’s not such a big place after all.

We’re aiming for a campsite at a place called Ti Tree and manage to get there at about 5.30 pm. We’re not sure what to expect as this will be our first roadside campsite, but after paying the £10 fees we’re very pleased to see it’s a lovely grassed area which is well looked after, and there’s a pool. Best of all, we’ve pretty much got the whole place to ourselves.

After jumping in the pool to cool off, we pop into the roadhouse to see if they have anything in the shop which would make a nice dinner. After buying a ‘light’ 800 gram fruit cake for breakfast, we see that they have fish and chips on the menu for a very reasonable £5, so decide to go for two of these, for our first purchase of cooked food in Australia. It turns out to be good value and we retreat back to a picnic bench next to the pool to have dinner.

By now it’s 7.30 pm and dusk, so we set to work pitching the tent. We get out the new groundsheet to cut to size and it’s absolutely huge. With the excess, we may put it to use to make some new pannier bags or something as it’s quite a sturdy material.

With the tent pitched and the new groundsheet cut to size we pop into the roadhouse for a beer. We’ve not really felt like going out for a beer much in Australia, probably because of the cost, but this is apparently the closest pub to the very centre of Australia. So it’s a must. Also the bar is fantastic – made from old railway sleepers and with an old railway line at the foot of the bar as a foot rest.

After a couple of cold XXXX beers we retire for the evening and look forward to another slightly early start to enjoy riding in the cool morning air.

Jour 275 – Mardi 18 Janvier 2011. D’Elliot a Ti Tree, Australie.

Distance: 561 km – Temps à moto: 7 heures

Il a plu toute la nuit, mais pas trop fort. Quand on ouvre la prte de la cabine, vers 7 heures du matin, la bâche qui couvre les motos est remplie d’eau de pluie et a tiré ma moto vers celle de Carl, c’est la deuxième fois que ca arrive, la dernière fois c’était penant le transport des motos de Singapour a Darwin, où ma moto reposait contre celle de Carl a la fin du voyage, heureusement il n’y a pas de dégats.

Le temps est couvert, mais il n’y a plus de signe d’orage et les nuages sont bien plus hauts dans le ciel. On prend la route vers huit heures reprennant la ‘Stuart Highway’ vers le Sud. Il y a plus de 700 km jusqu’à Alice Springs et nous ne pensons pas y arriver en un jour, mais on va essayer de nous en approcher le plus possible.

La route est mouillée et il pleut légèrement, mais c’est assez agréable comme il fait environs 25 degrés d’après le termomètre, ca nolus rafraichi vraiment.

Après 3 heures de route on arrive au village de ‘Tennant Creek’ ou nous avons prévu de nous arreter pour visiter une mine d’or, mais comme il commence a faire chaud on décide de ne pas nous arreter, il n’y a pas de panneaux qui indiquent des visites et nous ne voulons pas nous arreter pour rien. Nous achetons quelques fruits dans le supermarché et nous continuons.

Les nuages se disspent rapidement et la température monte, on commence a suer un peu. On fait une pause sur une portion de l’ancienne route au lieu dit ‘la tête de Churchill’, mais on n’est pas sur pourquoi le lieu est nommé comme ca comme il n’y a rien de marqué, puis on s’arrête pour manger un sandwich, puis on va voir les ‘Devil’s marbles’, les billes du diable qui sont impressionnantes, on se met a leur ombre pour manger des fruits et probiter de l’air frais qui y circule avant de reprendre la route. On fait de petites pauses régulières pour boire et nous pauser un peu comme la route est longue et on avance bien.  On fait des poses rapides aux stelles en mémoire d’un des explorateurs qui ont installé le premier télégraphe dans la région : Stuart et un autre en mémoire de John Flynn qui a prix part aux ‘Docteurs volants’ qui apportaient de l’aide médicale aux villages isolés du centre de l’Australie quand les routes n’étaient pas construites.

On passe à coté du centre national des UFO’s (objects volant non-identifiés) qui nous semble étrange, mais comme il fait vraiment chaud (37 degrés) on ne veut pas s’arrêter. Alors qu’on continue, le ciel est de plus en plus bleu, et la température dépasse les 38 degrés vers 4 heures, ca chauffe vraiement. On s’arrete a deux aires de repos ou on en profite pour boire un coup et nous raffraichir a l’ombre, c’est aussi chaud que quand nous etions en Russie et les prochains jours risquent d’être encore plus chauds.

Vers 5h30 on s’arrete a Ti Tree ou on espère trouver un camping, et que de chance, non seulement il y a un camping, mais il ne coute que 10 euros la nuit, il y a une piscine et il n’y a qu’un camping-car et nous ! On pose rapidement toute nos affaires, on enfile nos maillots et on se plonge dans la piscine. Quel bonheur !

Une fois raffraichis, on va faire un petit tour dans leur magasin et ils font du ‘Fish and chips’ pour 5 euros, c’est la première fois qu’on mange un repas cuisiné ici, et il est très bon et copieux, même s’il était dans la section ‘plat légers’ sur le menu. On a même du mal a les finir.

On monte ensuit la tente, on découpe la nouvelle bâche que Carl a achetée (qui est bien trop grande) a la bonne taille pour avoir une protection sous la tente et on va ensuite boire une petite bière au bar qui s’appelle ‘Flo’s bar’, on n’a pas encore bu un coup ici comme tout est si cher, mais ce bar est le bar le plus au centre de l’Autralie et vu son nom on décide de se faire un petit paisir. Le bar est construit avec les vieux bois de la voie ferrée qui passe du Nord au Sud et il est très agréable. On y discute un bon moment avec un Suisse qui est la en camping car et qui a fait l’Amérique du Nord et du Sud, puis on va se coucher tot car on espère partir au plus tot demain pour profiter du peu de fraicheur qu’on aura tot le matin : le ciel est étoilé, il n’y a pas de nuages du tout… ca va chauffer !