Chhomrong, 2,210 m to Deorali, 3,140 m Nepal.

Hours trekking:  6.5 hours

We’ve set the alarm for 7 am as we have another long day ahead. We’re glad we managed to make up some distance yesterday and be back on schedule, but there is still a long way to go. We manage to get going at about 7.45 am and make our way up the valley, away from the circular part of the walk and starting the ascent towards ABC.

The trail is noticeably busier as the traffic is going both ways (we’ll be returning the same way too in about 3 days). It starts with steep stairs downhill to a river crossing, followed by ninety minutes stairs uphill to Bamboo where we’ll stop on our return journey. From here, there is a ban on selling plastic bottles, so we’ll be filtering our water from here on.

As it’s about 12 pm when we get into Bamboo we stop there for lunch and discuss the options with Lal. We are scheduled to stop in Himalaya, but he thinks it’ll be too busy and we’ll not find a room. So we could stop before Himalaya, in Dovan, or after, in Deorali. We both feel like it would be best to push ahead and go to Deorali as we both feel good. This remains the plan until we approach the village of Dovan, and Lal suggests we stay there as it’s already been a long day. This would mean falling behind schedule again and a longer day the next day, and the possibility that ABC will be full when we get there.

As it’s only 1.30 pm and we still feel good, we decide to keep going and get ahead of the itinerary, which we’ll need to do as all rooms are full in Himalaya. Going further will also mean a shorter day the next day and getting ahead of all the people staying in Himalaya who are also aiming to get to ABC. It will also mean that we are a little bit higher in the hills and hopefully be less likely to get altitude sickness.  It does mean an extra 3 and a half hours to go, but we think it’s worth it.

We soldier on and arrive at Himalaya at 2.30 pm, where we stop for a lemon tea and see that it’s really packed with people we saw on the tracks over the last few days, so we’re glad to go a little further. We’re not sure if Lal was happy to go on and he does look a little tired, but he would never express wanting to stop. We hear him talking to another guide who sounds surprised that we are going further, but we have no option as there are no rooms here.

As we leave Himalaya we enter the clouds and thick jungle area, we only see three other people in the final leg of the day. We see another family of monkeys in the trees and Lal spots some mountain goats on the mountainside opposite us across the river. This part of the walk is quite pleasant as it’s really peaceful and we nearly have the paths to ourselves. It’s also a more level path, we cross a couple of larger rivers and have to use rickety bridges. We arrive just after 5 pm at Deorali. It’s quite busy too, even though there are four big guest houses. It would seem that all the rooms are taken, apart from a little store room which has four beds in it, so that’s fine for us. We would really love a shower, but up here there are none. The only option is to pay a pound for a bucket of warm water, which is absolutely lovely.

After freshening up we join the other trekkers in the dining room, order dinner and get chatting to a couple from Austria and Belgium, Gerlinde and Koen. After they go to bed, we’re quite tired too but have a little chat with Lal. It’s only 7.30 pm and it feels early for going to bed, but as there is no local cinema or other entertainment, and the guides, porters and sherpas prepare their beds on the mattresses surrounding the dining table, we’re quite happy to also turn in to warm up in our sleeping bags. It’s quite chilly tonight and the store room feels a little damp.

Jour 173 – Vendredi 8 Octobre 2010. De Chhomrong (2210m) a Deorali (3140m), Népal

Temps de marche : 6.5 heures

On a mis le réveil a 7 heures comme on a une longue journée de marche à faire, on est contents d’avoir rattrape notre retard hier, mais aujourd’hui sera long aussi. Nous partons vers 7h45 et montons le long de la vallée qui se sépare du sentier circulaire et qui commence à monter vers le camp de base de l’Annapurna. Le sentier est bien plus peuple comme tout le monde monte et redescend par ce même sentier, nous devrions être de retour par ici dans 3 jours. Le sentier commence par un long escalier qui descend vers la rivière, suivi d’un escalier qui monte pendant une heure et demie jusqu’au village de Bamboo ou nous nous arrêtons manger a midi et discutons des options avec Lal.

Nous devrions monter jusqu’à Himalaya, mais comme il y a du monde et nous risquons de ne pas y trouver de chambre, nous pourrions nous arrêter avant, a Dovan, ou après, a Deorali.

Comme nous avons la forme avec Carl nous préférerions aller jusqu’à Deorali, mais Lal a l’air de voulait s’arrêter quand nous arrivons a Dovan. Comme il n’est que 1h30, nous insistons un peu et décidons de monter jusqu’à Deorali, et dépasser la foule qui s’arrête à Himalaya. Cela nous donnera une meilleure chance d’avoir une chambre quand nous monterons à ABC.

Nous montons jusqu’à Himalaya et nous y arrêtons le temps d’un thé au citron. Lal avait raison, toutes les lodges sont pleines et nous devons continuer jusqu’à Deorali.  En partant d’Himalaya nous entrons dans les nuages, nous ne voyons que 3 personnes pendant le reste du chemin. Nous voyons une autre famille de singes dans les arbres et Lal nous montre des bouques qui sont au bord des chutes d’eau de l’autre cote de la rivière, sur un pan de montagne qui semble apique.

Cette partie du sentier est très agréable malgré le temps car il fait frais et le sentier est tellement paisible. Nous traversons aussi deux grosses rivières en passant sure des petite ponts qui ne nous semblent pas très stables a premier abord, mais qui sont en fait tout ce qu’il nous faut.

Nous arrivons a Deorali a 5 heures et c’est presque plein aussi, il ne reste qu’une petite chambre avec 4 lits, ce qui est juste bien pour nous ! Comme il n’y a pas de douche, nous nous rinçons avec un sceau d’eau chaude ce qui nous réchauffe un peu, il commence à faire frais comme on monte plus haut.

Nous allons ensuite joindre les autres marcheurs dans le restaurant et rencontrons un couple d’Autriche et de Belgique, Gerlinde et Koen, avec qui on accroche bien. Ils vont se coucher tôt après diner, nous discutons donc un peu avec Lal comme ca nous semble un peu tôt pour aller nous coucher : il n’est que 7h30. Mais peu pares nous remarquons que les guides et porteurs, qui dorment dans la salle restaurant, commencent à préparer leurs lits, nous allons donc dans notre petite chambre ou il fait bien frais et nous couchons aussi, bien au chaud dans nos sacs de couchage.