Moradabad, India to Mahendranagar, Nepal.

Distance: 116 miles
Time on bikes: 5.5 hours

Despite our best intentions for an early morning swim before breakfast, we opt for a lie in and don’t arise until about 9 am. By this time we’re ready for breakfast so decide to forego the dip.

When we get back to the room we take advantage of the internet connection to get the website up to date and manage to check out at 11.55 am. This was prompted slightly when we read that there’s a charge of an additional 50% if we run past the midday check out time.

We get going at 12.30 pm and continue the slow ride on poor roads to the Nepal border (the road surface reminds us of being back in Ukraine). There’s a high police presence in all the towns and villages we pass through due to a verdict being announced today at 3.30 pm in the High Court about a piece of disputed land between Muslims and Hindus. There’s even been half page adverts in the newspaper taken out by the Government pleading for each group to respect the decision of the Court and not kick off any violence.

As we approach the border with Nepal the scenery gets nicer and greener, and we pass through a forest which seems to be full of monkeys. It seems like we’re moving to less populated areas, but which are very wet. We have some concern about malaria as we’re getting to the border at sunset. We think this area could be a problem and although we’d prefer to not deal with a border crossing in the early evening, it looks like that’s exactly what will happen.

We take the opportunity to fill the bikes with fuel due to petrol not necessarily being available in Nepal. Although we’re not really sure of the situation.

We look for a hotel heading towards the border and also a cash point. In one village we eventually manage to find cash, but no hotel. So no choice but get to border at sunset.

We arrive at India’s customs at 6 pm, after crossing a large river. The sun is just setting as we arrive and we deal with the immigration papers for exiting the Country in the dark. They’re very accommodating people and quickly deal with all the paperwork, and feed us some local deserts as we’re chatting with them.

We then ride in the dark to find the Nepalese immigration office, somewhere down the road. We eventually come across a barrier and get told to turn back as we must have missed it. All is dark, but it’s a lovely starry night and there are quite a few fire flies around. Some people tell us the office is closed for the evening which kind of gets us down as we wouldn’t relish spending the night camping in no-mans land.

As we investigate in the pitch black we find a house, seemingly occupied by a family, with the immigration office sign outside. After wandering over hoping to be told they’re open, we’re invited in to sort paperwork and obtain the visas for a month at the cost of $42 each.  Carl feels a bit uneasy about leaving things out in the dark, so Béné pops out to collect helmets and papers from the bikes while Carl fills forms in. As Béné pops out to the bikes again to get dollars to pay for the visas, she finds her camera that was in the tank bag on the seat of the bike with the lens cap off, and the contents of one of the pockets of the tank bag on the floor. We probably became a little complaisant about leaving things on the bikes at borders, but this border seems different as there are many people wandering around everywhere. Luckily nothing went missing, but someone obviously had a good look around and decided the camera wasn’t worth taking.

With the visas sorted we head back to the barrier and get the bike carnets stamped for entry and some currency changed. The guy was keen to change all our money, but when someone is so keen there has to be a catch, and we have no idea what the value of the currency actually is, so we only change enough to cover us for a day or so.

We ride off in the dark again, getting frogs hopping all around us on the road. But this is a welcome change from having to avoid pot holes. Béné has one landing brutally on her foot and hopes it hasn’t made a mess as it’s really pitch black and she can’t see it.

We arrive in the first town and find the hotel that the guys at the border advised us to go to. The price is more than what they had told us, but it’s now 8.30 pm and we’re tired and hot, and have no idea where we are. So a decent hotel is just fine for us.

After refreshing ourselves and our clothes in the shower, we pop down to the restaurant for a few nibbles before getting back to the room to relax.

Jour 165 – Jeudi 30 Septembre 2010. De Moradabad, Inde

Distance: 186 km – Temps a moto: 5.5 heures

On avait décidé de nous lever tôt, profiter de la piscine avant le petit déjeuner et partir vers 9 heures, mais on ne se réveille qu’après 9 heures, le temps du petit déjeuner copieux et de mettre notre journal a jour et nous partons vers 12h30. La police est présente dans tous les villages que nous traversons car le verdict par rapport a un terrain que les musulmans et le Hindous disent est le leur et pour lequel ils se disputent depuis longtemps est du cet après-midi. La route est toujours mauvaise et lente, mais il y a de moins en moins de monde, et les champs deviennent bien plus verts. Nous traversons une foret ou il y a plein de singes, la région est plus agréable que la veille, mais comme elle est très humide nous sommes inquiets du risque de Malaria.

Nous reprenons un peu d’essence car nous avons lu qu’il est parfois difficile d’en trouver au Népal. Comme il commence a être tard et que la nuit tombe a 6 heures, nous essayons de trouver un hôtel avant la frontière, mais pas de bol, il n’y a rien. Nous arrivons à la frontière au coucher de soleil et passons le grand pont juste avant le poste de frontière de l’Inde à 6 heures. La nuit tombe alors que nous remplissons les papiers, nous sommes inquiets du risque de Malaria, mais heureusement il ne semble pas y avoir de moustiques. Les officier Indiens sont très sympas et discutent un peu, ils nous disent quel est le verdict du jugement si important, apparemment le territoire disputé a été séparé en portions pour chaque parti, nous espérons que cela les satisfait et qu’il n’y aura pas de problèmes. Les gardes nous offrent aussi un petit dessert local qui est le bienvenu comme nous n’avons pas mangé depuis le petit déjeuner. Il fait nuit quand nous quittons le poste de frontière du coté de l’Inde et nous dirigeons dans le noir vers le poste de frontière du Népal.

Quand nous arrivons au poste de frontière, tout est noir et nous avons du mal à voir ou nous sommes sensés aller, des gens nous disent que le poste d’immigration est fermé, mais quand nous approchons un bâtiment ou il y a une famille, l’homme nous propose de le suivre dans le bâtiment et commence les procédures a la torche, il doit y avoir une panne de courent.

Carl suspecte un peu que le coin est un peu louche, et alors qu’il commence les procédures je sors chercher nos casques, vestes et clefs de motos que nous avions laissé dehors. Je ressors quelques minutes plus tard pour chercher des dollars et payer le visa, et suis surprise de trouver mon appareil photo que était dans le sac, qui est devant moi sur la moto, sur mon siège et quelques choses qui étaient dans une des poches pare terre… quelqu’un a fouillé dans la sacoche et heureusement a tout laissé, mais du coup je prends tout sur moi juste au cas ou. C’est une soirée très chaude, le ciel est étoilé et il y a des lucioles. Nous réussissons a finir toutes les paperasses a la frontière assez vite, a échanger de l’argent pour avoir assez de Roupies Népalaises pour quelques jours et nous reprenons la route, dans le noir. Il y a pas mal de grenouilles sur la route et je m’en prends une sur la chaussure, mais au moins elles sont moins dangereuses que les vaches!

Nous arrivons au village quelques kilomètres plus loin vers 8h30 et y trouvons l’hôtel dont les gars de la frontière nous on parlé, il est plus cher que ce qu’ils disaient, mais il est tard, et nous avons chaud, nous ne savons pas si il y a autre chose, nous décidons donc de rester.

Le temps d’une douche et de faire la lessive et nous allons manger un morceau avant d’aller nous coucher, nous sommes bien contents d’avoir passé la frontière, ca faisait longtemps que nous voulions tous les deux aller au Népal et nous y sommes enfin.