Song Kol, Kyrgyzstan

Distance: 40 miles
Time on bikes: 3 hours

At about 2 am the rain eventually stops and it sounds like we could be in for some better weather in the morning. We get up at about 7 am and it’s a relief to see that the clouds are much lighter and we should be ok.

We don’t hurry ourselves and just take our time having a breakfast outside the tent and then slowly getting packed away. Carl takes the opportunity of changing his spark plugs as the cold starting of the bike has got progressively worse recently. Normally the bike would start with a single push of the starter button, but now it needs a bit of a handful of throttle and a bit of cranking to get going. After changing the plugs however, it’s still the same. Something else needs to be investigated.

It’s about 11.30 am when we eventually get going; trying to find somewhere to camp closer to the lake. We rejoin the track that we’d left in a hurry yesterday afternoon and continue along the lake. Although we’re now riding alongside the lake, there’s still a fair distance between us and the waters edge. In between us is very soft grass, but because of the recent rainfall we’re a bit reserved about riding over in case we get stuck.

When stopped, Carl notices that Béné’s front tyre is looking a bit flat so we may have our first puncture to fix. It had lost a bit of pressure when in Bishkek, so we may be lucky that it’s only a slow puncture that’s getting progressively worse. We check for any signs of something causing the puncture that would cause further damage if we keep riding, but can’t see anything. We get the small bike pump out that we bought in Volgograd and we’re soon rolling again.

Along the track there are several points where water has eroded a section of the road away. Cars and trucks have simply driven around the problem, but the surface is often covered with mud and difficult to traverse on the bikes without slipping around. Sometimes we take a wider berth onto the surrounding grass and sometimes we cut a tight line to stay on the gravel. Sometimes, the slope down on the eroded section looks ok for us to ride through, although this takes a bit of coaxing to get Béné to release the brakes.

After satisfying ourselves that we’ve had a good scout around the southern shores of the lake we decide to make our way south and find somewhere to camp in the valleys leading away from Song Kol. We find the road and take our time on the wet and gravelly surface. There are only yurts here, but there seem to be more as we move away from the lake. A few of the dogs run up to us barking, but we’ve learnt to remain calm and just keep riding as they yap away next to us.

We eventually get to a point where the landscape gets really spectacular and after climbing to 3,200 m, we arrive at the head of a valley and see the road below snaking its way down. The surface looks much better than the road we came up and after chatting to a local guy visiting the area with his family, we start to head down. It looks like there are some huge landslides in this area, but the road must get much more traffic and is kept quite clear.

It’s a really nice ride down and we just stay in 1st gear at about 10 mph as the engines control our speed down the hill. Towards the bottom, we’ve got to an altitude of about 2,200 m and are at the bottom of the valley. When we spot a nice area near to the river and with great views of the surrounding mountains, it doesn’t take long for us to decide to stop and set up camp.

We do our usual routine of Béné sorting dinner while Carl sets up the tent. After dinner we go for a little walk around the area and as we get back to the tent a guy and two small children are walking over to us. The older of the two young girls calls out to us ‘how are you?’ and we soon realise they’re from the yurt located a few hundred metres away and have come over to be a bit inquisitive about us. There’s not much language in common, but we manage to chat for about thirty minutes about us, the bikes, the tent and our travels.

After a while, the guy invites us to come back to their yurt for something to drink and we feel a bit awkward about declining and part of us is quite interested to see inside a real yurt. We walk back over the fields and when we get inside we see that the whole family is there and about to have dinner. We’re beckoned to sit on the floor around the table where they’re serving soup and tea and we settle down. It’s an amazing place to be inside, with the turd fired cooker near the door, the animal skins hanging on the walls and covering the floor, a bladder above our heads for storing liquids and four generations of the family sitting down for dinner. The eldest is the grandmother who’s 92 years old, followed by the guy’s parents and then him and his three kids. The soup is good, but the fresh bread they’ve cooked is absolutely delicious.

As its getting dark, we feel it’s appropriate for us to make a move out of the yurt. We can barely see inside the yurt and they must be getting close to their bedtime. When we get outside some others have arrived and it seems like they’ve been sipping a bit of vodka, even though they arrived by car. We take a few photos and then say our goodbye’s and head back to our tent. It’s been great to have had an inside view of a Kyrgyz family living in a yurt and surviving off the land around them. We manage to get their address and will do our best to post some of the photos to them. Strangely enough, they weren’t on email.

Jour 128 – Mardi 24 Aout 2010. De Song Kol a   km de Ak Tal, Kyrgyzstan

Distance: 60 km – Temps a moto: 3 heures

Nous sommes contents de nous reveiller et de voir le soleil a travers la toile de tente. La pluie s’est arretee pendant la nuit et je mets le nez dehors et il est agréable de voir un grand ciel bleu. Il fait froid mais le soleil commence rapidement a nous rechauffer et a sécher la tente. Nous prenons notre temps pour nous lever, prendre un bon petit déjeuner de chocolat chaud, pain et miel. Carl change se bougies sur sa moto et nous rangeons doucement nos affaires. C’est agréable de sentir le soleil nous rechauffer, et nous affaires de motos sechent aussi.

Nous décidons d’aller camper un peu plus près du lac si on trouve un endroit qui nous plait ou a commencer a descendre vers Naryn, celon le temps et ce qu’on trouve. La route autours du lac passe près de quelques Yourtes, une seule a un panneau qui montre qu’ils offrent la possibilite d’y loger. Une autre a un panneau pour dire qu’ils vendent du miel, mais on en a encore beaucoup donc on ne s’arrete pas. Nous remarquons que mon pneu avant est bien degonfle, j’ai du creuver…nous le regonflons dans l’espoir que ca ne soit qu’une petite fuite et que nous pourrons faire la reparation a Naryn.

Le sentier est beau, mais il ne passe pas trop près du lac, et il est en mauvais etat : tous les passages de rivière qui avaient etes construits avec des tuyots en beton, on etes detruits par l’erosion et il faut les contourner en passant dans l’herbe, dans la boue. Comme la boue est très glissante pour nous nous en passons deux en passant par la partie raide du gravier qui est moins glissante. Nous passons la route vers le Sud que nous prendrons plus tard pour aller vers Naryn, mais décidons d’aller plus loin le long du lac. Le sentier est de plus en plus petit et deviens juste un sentier dans l’herbe, nous décidons donc de faire demi tour, et comme des nuages approchent nous décidons de commencer a descendre vers Naryn et de trouver un petit endroit dans une vallée pour camper, il fera moins froid dans la vallée.

Le sentier s’eloigne doucement du lac et reste a la même altitude pendant un moment, nous passons encore pas mal de yourtes, et un jeune garcon sur son ane nous fait la course a travers les champs et il est fier d’arriver avant moi a un passage, il traverse en me donnant un grand sourir. Nous ne sommes pas surs du tout de l’etat du sentier de ce cote la, et sommes contents d’avoir plein de temps pour descendre, nous sommes a plus de 3.000 metres et Naryn est a moins de 2.000 metres.

Quand nous arrivons au bout du plateau nous avons une très agréable surprise : une vue fantastique sur la vallée dans laquelle nous allons descendre, ou nous voyons les lacets de la route qui descend, un vrai plaisir !  Nous espérons juste qu’il n’y aura pas trop de boue dessus, et commencons la descente, roulant en premiere ou deuxieme vitesse untilisant le frein a moteur et ne roulant qu’au pas la plupart du temps pour pouvoir aussi profiter du paysage. Le sentier est en très bon etat et nous sommes contents de bien progresser. Nous trouvons un petit endroit au bord d’une rivière dans la vallée verte et décidons de nous y arrêter. Nous ne sommes pas presses d’arriver a Naryn et l’endroit est superbe, avec une vue sur de belles montagnes.

Nous nous installons et preparons un repas pour 6 heures comme nous n’avons que fait grignotter et nous avons faim : une bonne plattee de lentilles avec du ris et de l’oignon revenu a la poile avec des épices. Quand nous avons fini nous allons faire un petit tour a pieds dans le champ en face et les chiens de guarde d’une yourte un peu plus haut, avec un troupeau de vaches et de moutons, commencent a abboyer, masi au moins ils ne nous font pas la course. Quand nous retournons a la tente un jeune homme et deux petites filles nous rendent visite, ils essayent un peu de discuter, et nous invitent a manger dans leur yourte. Nous n’avons pas faim, mais il est difficile de refuser. Nous les accompagnons et nous retrouvons a table avec toute la famille : la grand-mere (baboushka) qui a 92 ans et qui est en pleine forme, les parents, qui ont 46 ans, et le jeune homme en a 27, sa petite sœur a 14 ans. Ils semblent tous bien plus ages. Nous passons un repas agréable et sommes contents d’avoir fait leur rencontre, ils nous demandent juste de leur envoyer les photos et nous ecrivent leur adresse. Nous ne savons pas trop comment nous le feront, mais ca serai sympa de pouvoir le faire.

Nous retournons vers notre tente dans la nuit, mais il ne fait pas trop sombre.