Karakol to Southern shore, Lake Issik Kol, Kyrgyzstan

Distance: 80 miles
Time on bikes: 2.25 hours

One of the reasons we’ve decided to stay another night in Karakol, apart from enjoying the hospitality of Marzey and meeting Christiane, is because the animal market takes place on Sunday mornings. It’s an early start and breakfast is served in the dining room at 7 am where we meet up with Christiane. We decide to get a taxi down to the market together to save the hassle of parking and get to the market just after 8 am.

The market is fantastic – something new for all of us. We begin by walking along the muddy track leading into the market, passing people who look like they’ve bought animals and are waiting to be picked up. We see people stuffing sheep into the boots of cars and cars with trailers carrying cows, goats and sheep.

As we reach the centre of the market the place looks really alive. There are lines of calm obedient cows, waiting to be sold and there’s another section with horses stood around with their owners next to them. People appear to be stood patiently waiting for interested buyers to walk up and make enquiries. We really want to walk up and ask a few how much they want out of curiosity, but part of us thinks we’re just wasting their time, and another part thinks we’ll just be told a ridiculous price.

The part where the horses are is really impressive. There appear to be a few really good ‘models’ and guys are stood around while riders put on performances with the horses to show how controllable, obedient and athletic they are. While the riders strut their stuff, other guys seem to be negotiating the price and it appears there’s a bit of a gap between what is being offered and what the sale price is.

A young lad on one horse seems to be playing some kind of game with an older lad on another horse. They take turns at getting their horse to push the rear of the other horse around, possible trying to get the other rider to fall off. The young lad is really going for it and at times he has his horse rearing up and getting the front legs over the other horse. It all looks a bit aggressive, but from the smiles on their faces it seems just like a game. Although we don’t buy any animals, we do come across a stand selling straps, which could be useful for tying the bikes down at times. They had a nice Chanel offering which caught Carl’s eye, so we got six metres of the stuff.

We continue to walk around and then hop in a taxi to get back to the centre of town where we’re meeting Marzey. She’s offered to take us to the Babooshka Bazarr somewhere else in town where apparently people congregate to sell almost anything under the sun. Often this is because of people leaving town and literally selling up. When we get there it’s quite busy, but interesting to walk around. People have set out little stalls and are selling allsorts. If anyone is interested in acquiring historic soviet artefacts, household goods, old radios, cooking equipment, clothing from the region or car parts, then this is one place to come. Carl buys some more nuts and bolts to restock supplies and Christiane buys a large wooden mallet to help knock pegs into the ground when camping, although it also makes a useful defence weapon. On the way out we also buy some honey from a stall – a huge lump of solid stuff which is apparently very good.

After this market, Marzey drops us off at the main Bazarre in town. This place was great to wander around, with stalls selling almost everything. One of the most interesting parts was the meat hall, where every single part of cows and sheep was available for purchase. It would make a great excursion for an anatomy class! Although we don’t buy anything in the meat hall, we do make purchases in the Bazarre; some more nuts and bolts for Carl, some elastic for Béné’s trousers and Christiane buys some yoghurt.

After the market we wander back through town to the guest house, stopping on the way to check up on emails at the Post Office internet place.

After some lunch of Yoghurt and honey, kindly provided by Christiane, we get on our way at about 3 pm. We’ve been recommended a place in the town of Tamga on the south side of the lake which is about fifty miles away. This is just a nice distance.

We arrive in the town, but it’s set slightly back from the lake and some of the people are looking like they’ve been on the vodka most of the afternoon. We have a quick ride through town, but as it’s only 4.30 pm we decide to carry on down the lake to see what else we find. It’s not long, maybe ten miles or so, before we see some lovely beaches just near to the road we’re riding along. We spot a group of tents and quickly turn around to investigate a bit closer. We’d been told not to camp in Kyrgyzstan, but this is usually because people just don’t want you to come to harm. If we camp near other people this would make us feel quite safe.

As we ride down towards the beach, the track is a bit steep but is nicely hard packed so no problems with riding on the bikes. Carl is ahead and is just looking for somewhere to pitch the tents when he suddenly looks ahead and sees a big patch of really soft sand at the bottom of the slope he’s going down. There’s no avoiding it and he just has enough time to tell Béné through the intercoms that ‘she’s going down!’ As soon as the front tyre hits the sand it just sinks and washes out. The bike lurches over to the side and Carl gracefully hops off and rolls over in the sand. Thankfully there’s no damage as the bike has just sank into the sand on the right hand side. The tyres are so low in the sand that it’s quite easy to just lift up and we’re soon back on our way.

We pull into a nice little spot and soon get the tent erected and some rice on the go before walking down to the beach for a swim before dinner. On the way back we collect some wood for a fire and enjoy a nice dinner overlooking the lake. Later on in the evening we’re joined by a small herd of wild horses and the foals seem to be full of energy running around the place.

Jour 119 – Dimanche 15 Aout 2010. De Karakol a la cote sud du lac d’Issik Kol, Kyrgyzstan

Distance: 128 km – Temps a moto: 2.25 heures

Une des raisons pour lesquelles nous sommes restes une nuit de plus a Karakol, en plus de profiter du joli B&B et de la companie de Marzey et de Christiane, est que le dimanche matin a Karakol il y a le marche aux bestiaux. Il faut y aller tôt pour bien en profiter, nous dejeunons donc a 7 heures et partons en taxi pour arriver au marche a 8 heures.

Le marche est impressionnant, il commence apparement a 4 heures du matin, dans le noir. Il est separe par des murs en beton bas, et consiste des parties suivantes : les moutons et chevres, les vaches et les chevaux, et il y a aussi une partieparking et une partie pour la vente de voitures. Ce sont des champs boueux, mais ca a l’air très organise. Nous passons d’abord dans la partie ou il y a les moutons, et nous voyons des gens qui mettent 2 moutons dans le coffre de leur voiture, et même un homme dont la voiture est pleine de moutons. Pour les vaches et chevaux les gens ont des remorques ou des camions

L’ambiance est impressionnante, et les gens ne perdent pas de temps, les negociations de prix sont assez longues. Nous avons bien envie de nous renseigner sur les prix, mais nous savons que tout prix qu’on nous donnera sera ridicule comme nous sommes des touristes.

Nous passons ensuite dans la partie ou il y a les chevaux, la plupart sont superbes, et les gens observent les acheteurs qui essayent de monter les chevaux tout en negociant le prix, ils font de belles demonstrations de contrôle du cheval.

Un jeune garcon de peut être 8 ans est sur un cheval et avec un autre cavalier, ils semblent faire un jeu d’initiation que nous trouvons etrange, ils poussent les chevaux  comme dans une bataille  a deux, et le cheval du jeune garcon se cabre. Le deux jeunes sourinet en faisant ca, mais ca nous semble un peu brutal.

Il y a des sangles en vente pour les gens qui achetent les animaux, et nous en prenons une, Carl choisis la sangle de marque ‘Chanel’.

Nous partons ensuite pour retrouver Marzey qui nous emene au ‘Babouchka bazzare’ le marche des grand meres, qui était au départ tenu que par des dames qui vendaient des choses faites main. Maintenant c’est un marche qui vent de tout presque tout est d’occasion et certaines personnes sont la pour vendre leurs biens avant de demanager.

Nous achetons un gros bloc de miel et quelques boulons d’occasion avant de nous diriger vers un autre bazzare qui est au centre ville. Il y a une partie charcuterie ou tout est en vente, tetes, langues, intestins, cœur, et ily a un charcutier qui est entrain de tailler la viande de ce qui semble être une demie vache. C’est une bonne classe d’anatomie ! Le reste du marche vend de tout : jeux, nourriture, farine….Christine achete une boite pour y mettre du yaourt, moi de la creme et de l’elastic pour réparer mon pantalon et Carl prends d’autres boulons. Nous nous arrêtons aussi pour manger un plat de nouilles froid traditionnel qui est assez bon.

Sur le chemin du retours vers le B&B nous faisons une pause a la poste pour y verifier les emails et prenons ensuite  la route de Tamga qui est un village touristique au bord du lac.

Quand nous arrivons a Tamga, nolus trouvons que le village est un peu loin du lac et décidons d’aller un peu plus loin et d’essayer de camper un bord d lac pour bien en profiter. On nous a dit de ne camper que quand il y a d’autres personnes autours au Kyrgyzstan, nous nous arrêtons donc a un endroit ou une famille est intallee et leur demandons si ca les derange que nous campions près d’eux. Les bords du lacs sont superbe ici, il y a quelques arbres et le sable est rouge, l’eau est claire et bleue et nous sommes impatients de nous y baigner. La famille qui est la parle allemand et nous arrivons a comprendre que ca ne les derange pas et ils nous font signe de camper un peu plus loin, mais pas trop loin… nous comprenons plus tard que c’est parce que leurs toilettes sont la bas.

Nous avancons un peu, et Carl glisse dans le sable avec sa moto et tombe mais c’est a vitesse lente et dans le sable mou il ne se fait pas mal et la moto est intacte. Je prends un autre chemin dans la terre ferme et  nous nous installons un peu plus loin.

Le temps d’un petit bain dans le lac et d’un petit repas de riz avec de la’aubergine et de l’ognon et nous commencons a ecrire le journal dans la nuit tombante. Quelques minutes plus tard nous entendons des petits bruits tout autours de nous : un troupeau de chevaux avance doucemant en grignottant les feuilles des buissons et des arbres. Ils sont superbes et passent doucement autours de nous sans même nous regarder. Des poulins se defoulent aussi mais sans trop s’approcher de nous. Quelle belle soiree. Nous sommes bien contents de camper la.