Feodosiia, South Coast Crimea to Anapa, Russia

Distance: 139 miles
Time on bikes: 3.5 hours

We decide to give ourselves a few hours to enjoy the beach before heading off, however the time seems to pass very quickly. We go for an early swim and take the diving masks to see what’s happening on the sea floor. Apart from a few fish and a couple of crabs, it’s quite a featureless sandy bottom. But it makes for a lovely place to swim.

We take the laptop down with us and tap away getting the diary up to date in English and French and also take the map to work out some distances for Russia. Before we know it the time is 11.30 am and we quickly head back to the room to get showered and ready to head off on the bikes. We’re riding just after midday and feel like our batteries have been fully charged.

We take the opportunity of filling the bikes with fuel before leaving town so this is one less this to worry about and also check the tyre pressures as it’s a couple of weeks since this was properly done and Carl’s rear tyre has again dropped to about 16 psi. Clearly the method of pressing the tyre with your fingers doesn’t provide an accurate gauge of pressure.

Our stomachs are feeling a bit tense as we’re riding towards the far eastern coast of Crimea to a ferry just after the town of Kerch. This is where we’ll hopefully leave Ukraine and enter Russia and it cuts a lot of distance if we can use the ferry. It’s about seventy miles to get there and the roads are quite good. We decide to stop to get some cash and food in Kerch before trying our luck with the ferry. On entering the supermarket we’re helped by a very enthusiastic security guard who insists on us taking a trolley to carry our jackets.

The drive to the port is about a further ten miles and we arrive sooner than expected. We don’t understand any signage, but we seem to have arrived when we see a queue of about seven cars and we join the back of it. It’s 3.05 pm when we pull up, but how long will it be before our wheels are rolling on Russian tarmac?

After a bit of waiting a man dressed in a naval outfit comes up to us and when he realises we don’t speak Ukrainian or Russian, he basically tells us we need to follow some other people to buy a ticket for the ferry. This is done without too much trouble and the cost is 140 UKR, which is about £12.50 for us and the bikes. We’re then queuing for a bit longer before moving about forty metres past the ferry booth into the customs area.

It’s hot and we wait in the sun as we speak to about four different customs guys. They come, collect our passports and vehicle docs, and disappear for about thirty minutes. One of the guys, dressed all in black, is quite young and happy to exchange a few words of English. We think he’s the narcotics chap and doesn’t seem bothered at all about us and the bikes aren’t checked.

We push the bikes forward in five metre increments as the documents for the twenty or so vehicles boarding the ferry are dealt with. Everyone seems to have the same treatment as us, so we don’t feel too worried when they keep coming to collect our documents and walk off with them repeatedly. We try and keep our temperatures down by wetting our arms and heads with the rain water we’d collected a few days ago when camping and this provides some welcome relief.

We’re soon getting towards the front of the queue and the ferry is in sight. There’s a bit of last minute running around with our documents as apparently details still need to be keyed into different computers. We’re nearly there, so we don’t mind waiting a bit longer. At about 4.45 pm we’re on the ferry and it’s soon setting off. It’s only a short hop across the strait and twenty minutes later we’re docking into Russia. This will be the first time one of our Visas will be required and we have everything crossed that the paperwork is all in order.

It seems like a small checkpoint and thankfully they only need to deal with the vehicles that have rolled off the ferry. It only seems to be tourists, so we’re hoping we might be in luck, especially as there seem to be about ten officials walking around. We join the queue off the ferry and are soon directed to move into a lane with the non-Russians. A young lady walks up our lane asking the cars to switch their engines off and we’re keen to know what we need to do and where we need to go to start getting our papers checked. We stand there though and wait patiently.

The young lady soon comes up to us and realises we don’t speak any Russian and helps fill out the first form which was greatly appreciated as there was no English on it and it could have taken us a while. She was called Inna and proceeded to help guide us through the customs process of going to a couple of different booths to have passport, visa details and vehicle documents entered on the system. There was a fair bit of conversation in Russian and we were extremely pleased to have Inna there to help us.

The inspectors asked us several questions in Russian and checked our panniers, but they seemed most keen to know whether we’d ever used a firearm. I’m sure our reaction was sufficient for him to realise we weren’t in the business of drugs and guns and were just interested in exploring the country.

Inna continued to help us obtain the insurance green card and was interested in our travels and explained it was just of personal interest and she wasn’t asking for any customs reason. She also explained she was there on a placement and returns to University in Moscow in September to continue her studies. She made our first impressions of the country incredibly positive and we were overwhelmed with her assistance and support. She was a true ambassador for Russia and we were now looking forward to getting going. Before leaving, we were given a ten rouble note as change for the insurance payment and she kindly wrote a little note to us on it, wishing us well on our travels and we gave her a written note back thanking her for her assistance and making our first impressions of Russia so positive.

According to the GPS, the clocks have gone forwards one hour so it’s 8 pm now and four hours after first arriving at the ferry terminal. Probably about what we were expecting, apart from the change of time. It’s about seventy miles to Novorossky down the coast, but it’ll be dark in an hour. We follow the road and toy with camping off one of the quiet roads we’re driving down, but decide to try and find a hotel. We aim for the town of Anapa on the Black Sea coast where we arrive at about 9.45 pm and it’s dark. It appears to be a huge tourist town and the streets are full of people wandering around in beach attire. How difficult will it be to find a hotel here?

It was difficult. First of all we had no Rubles so had to find a cash point. Although there were several, only one out of five worked and Bene’s card was the only one that managed to get some money out.  At about 11 pm we manage to find a nice hotel which is 2,600 Rubles, about £52 and we’re soon checked in and settled in the room. It’s been a tiring day mentally and our clothes feel like they’re stuck to our bodies. We both climb into the shower fully dressed to do the laundry before crashing out.

Jour 78 – Lundi 5 Juillet 2010

De Feodosiia, Cote Sud de la Crimée a Anapa, Russie

Distance: 139 miles – Temps a moto: 3.5 heures

Nous décidons de démarrer en douceur, et de profiter de la plage un peu plus longtemps avant de nous diriger vers la Russie. Nous allons nager avec les masques pour voir s’il y a quelque chose à voir. Il n’y a que quelques poissons, de petits crabes et quelques méduses. L’eau est à une température très agréable. Après ca nous passons un peu de temps à écrire le journal, puis le temps d’un autre petit plongeon dans l’eau et d’une petite douche et nous sommes enfin prêts à partir… Il est déjà midi, le temps passe très vite.

Nous passons dans une station d’essence faire le plein, et nous vérifions la pression des pneus. Le pneu arrière a Carl est un peu dégonflé, comme il y a deux semaines, il doit y avoir un petit trou, mais si on le surveille ca devrai aller, ca ne sert a rien de tout démonter dans cette chaleur si ca n’est pas vraiment nécessaire.

Nous sommes tous les deux un peu inquiets de notre passage à la frontière, c’est notre première frontière sérieuse qui prendra surement pas mal de temps. Sur la route nous passons dans la ville de Kerch ou nous passons dans un supermarché prendre quelques provisions et nous prenons du liquide, nous aurions aime pouvoir prendre des Roubles Russes, mais nous n’en trouvons pas, nous espérons donc que si il y a des frais a la frontière nous pourrons payer en monnaie Ukrainienne.

Le port est une quinzaine de kilomètres après la ville et nous arrivons au ferry vers 3 heures, il y a une petite queue de 7 voitures et nous nous demandons combien de temps ca va prendre pour qu’on soit en Russie.

Après quelques minutes un homme en uniforme vient nous voir et nous fait comprendre que nous devons suivre les autres gens qui vont à pieds derrière un petit bâtiment. Nous comprenons vite que c’est le guichet de billet de ferry. Personne ne parle Anglais ou une autre langue que l’Ukrainien ou le Russe, mais nous arrivons à acheter les billets de ferry sans problème, et les billets ne sont pas trop chers, environs 12 euros. Une Fois que nous avons les billets nous passons une première barrière et nous devons attendre comme les autres, mais c’est au soleil. Carl et moi essayons de nous mettre à l’ombre des motos et de nous rafraichir le visage avec l’eau de pluie qui nous reste. Un officier vient prendre nos passeports et les papiers des motos, et il part avec, heureusement il fait de même avec les papiers des autres gens dans la queue. Un jeune homme habille en noir est intéressé par notre voyage arrive à dire quelques mots en Anglais, il semble être en charge de vérifier ce qui est dans les véhicules, mais il ne nous demande pas d’ouvrir nos bagages.

Nous avançons tout doucement, tout le monde semble attendre aussi longtemps que nous, ca nous rassure un peu. Quand la queue avance nous arrivons enfin à un endroit ou il y a un peu d’ombre et nous sommes bien contents de nous y mettre. Les officiers passent régulièrement d’un bureau a l’autre avec nous papiers, mais nous font signe que les choses progressent et qu’il n’y a pas de problème.

Nous sommes bien contents quand ils nous rendent nos papiers et nous font signe de monter sur le ferry. Ca y est, nous sortons de l’Ukraine, la prochaine étape, d’abord le ferry, puis la frontière Russe.

Le ferry part un peu avant 5 heures. La traversée prend moins d’une demi-heure, et nous en profitons pour manger quelques fruits secs au cas où la frontière soit une procédure longue. Au débarquement, il y a deux queues, les Russes et les autres. Une jeune officielle passe et à l’air de dire a tout le monde d’éteindre leur moteur et nous dit quelle reviens en Anglais. Nous espérons que c’est un signe que les gens parlent un minimum d’Anglais ici et que cela facilitera notre passage. Elle revient avec des papiers à remplir, mais comme tout est en Russe dessus elle les remplis pour nous, ce sont des détails de nos passeports et des motos.

Il n’y a pas trop de monde comme le ferry était petit, environs 20 voitures. Les officiers ont l’air plutôt amical et même si ils vérifient le contenu des voitures Russes et Ukrainiennes, tout est fait de façon très relaxe. Il y a un soldat avec un chien qui passe le long des véhicules et des soldats avec des miroirs au bout d’un bâton. Ils nous demandent si nous avons des armes et trouvent ca drôle quand ils demandent à Carl s’il a jamais utilise un fusil et qu’il répond que non.

L’aide de la jeune femme qui parle un peu Anglais est très utile, elle est très patiente et prends bien le temps de vérifier tous les détails avant de passer les papiers dans les bureaux. La jeune femme s’appelle Inna et elle est très intéressée par notre voyage et elle est contente de pouvoir parler avec nous, nous sommes bien contents qu’elle soit ici ! Elle est ici en stage et étudie à Moscow, mais  elle adore la Crimée d’où viens la grande mère et espère revenir travailler ici après avoir fini ses études.

Un des officiers nous demande d’ouvrir nos sacoches, mais à peine le couvercle ouvert, il est satisfait et nous dit de les refermer.

Inna nous aide ensuite a remplir les papiers d’assurance que nous devons acheter avant d’entrer en Russie et elle signe notre premier billet de 10 Roubles (nous avons paye en monnaie Ukrainienne et ils nous rendent la monnaie en Roubles). Notre première impression de la Russie est très bonne comme tout le monde est très amical et souriant.

Nous partons de vers 7 heures, toute la procédure a pris 4 heures, c’est long, mais nous ne savions pas a quoi nous attendre, et ca aurai pu être bien plus long sans l’aide d’Inna. L’heure a aussi change, nous avons perdu une heure, il est donc 8 heures quand nous entrons enfin la Russie. Nous espérions aller jusqu’à Novorossisk mais ca sera trop loin pour ce soir, nous avançons donc dans l’espoir de trouver un hôtel au plus tôt, nous pensons même à l’option du camping. La ville d’Anapa n’est pas trop loin et nous y arrivons juste a la nuit tombée, c’est une ville sur la cote qui a l’air assez grande, nous pensons donc ne pas avoir de problème à y trouver un hôtel.

Bien sur ca n’est pas le cas comme nous n’avons pas de Roubles, les deux premiers hôtels sont pleins, et le suivant ne prend pas de carte. Nous essayons de retirer de l’argent, mais nous avons du mal, ca nous prends 5 tentatives dans différent ‘bankomats’ avant de réussir à retirer assez pour au moins une nuit. Après tourner un peu plus longtemps dans la ville nous trouvons enfin un hôtel à prix raisonnable (environs 52 euros) et nous sommes bien contents de nous y poser comme il est déjà 11 heures.